Podcast Mixing | Ducking Interviewer/Interviewee

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

btswire
gettin' sounds

Podcast Mixing | Ducking Interviewer/Interviewee

Post by btswire » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:09 pm

Hello All,

I'm mixing some 45-minute podcasts for a nonprofit on a low budget. The interviews take place out in the field, and there is a lav mic on both the interviewer and interviewee. For optimum fidelity, I'm reducing the volume of the interviewer by about 10 db while the interviewee is speaking and vice versa. However, sometimes they talk over each other for a bit, in which case I don't attenuate the volume of either.

Rather than using volume automation, I'm wondering if I can use ducking (side-chaining a compressor.) The main problem with this is that when both the interviewer and interviewee are speaking together, they will duck each other's audio. I could automate the compressor during these instances, although this may end up being more work than simply doing the volume automation as necessary. Also, when there are moments where neither person is talking, the ambient sound would become louder, since both mics are also capturing the ambient sound in the field.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 am

>>>>I could automate the compressor during these instances, although this may end up being more work than simply doing the volume automation as necessary. Also, when there are moments where neither person is talking, the ambient sound would become louder, since both mics are also capturing the ambient sound in the field.<<<<

I think you already have your answer right there. Plus, I personally hate the sound of ducking versus controlled fades, but that's just me.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:25 am

If you have a lot of dynamic range in the recordings -- common with low budget voice recordings, skype transcripts, etc., where one person is much louder than the rest, I've found the 2 stage compression technique (outlined a few years ago in TapeOp) to be a real time saver. It can level everything out nicely without requiring extensive envelope manipulation. If you have a lot of audio to go through and need to do it as quickly as possible, this might be helpful.

Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Injured Ear » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 am

I see Dan Duggan finally released a software version of his hardware automixer.
This is the de-facto standard in broadcast automixing. Unfortunately.. the plugin is $500. Curses!
http://www.waves.com/plugins/dugan-automixer

If I were doing dialog editing for a living, I would buy that plugin in a heartbeat. All Waves flames aside, the Duggan is the best solution for dealing with multiple mics and keeping background noise to a minimum.

If possible, you could search around for some used PA/install equipment that have automixers built in. If you can find one of those for $100 and rig it on some hardware inserts in your DAW you might be able to do the same for a lot less.

For example:
This Altec Lansing automixer has the original Dan Duggan design in it. Kinda pricy though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-1 ... 2a1a424dcd

Not sure if this Biamp mixer will do the same thing, but way cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biamp-Digital-L ... 58a191ba76