What Fender Guitar is This?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:49 am

vvv wrote:I can't speak to the Decade but I have two Strat-stylee Sustainors and they are terrific, great necks, solid construction and finish and decent standard sounds, and then when you kick in the feedbacker ... 8)
I have the Dragonfly sustainer Fernandez with a pair of humbuckers. That circuit works really well. I use it as a midi synth guitar controller for the AXON system as it avoids the common dreaded 'midi note off' problems when the strings decay. With that rig you can play Jimmy Smith Hammond organ chords and hold them forever. The wammy bar makes for more fun.

The guitar sounds are necessarily dark as the circuit adds a low pass filter on the audio signal to prevent local leakage/feedback from the pickup to the driver coil by the neck. The pickups are dark anyway, overwound to add output. I lessened that filter to allow a bit more natural string sound through, but it's a balancing act to get the tops back and still avoid frizzies from the local feedback magnetic fields.

Eddie Van Halen also has one and said he loved the way it works, just not the way it sounds, a bit too dark for plain old guitar playing. The strat pickup versions may have a bit more sparkle than the humbucker versions, but the humbucker versions sustain more evenly with less dead zones.

A fun trick live is to turn it on, throw it on the floor upside down and press up and down on the body with your foot. The wammy bar makes it sound like a diesel engine getting the pedal gassed. Hendrix would have loved one of these.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:35 pm

I have two of the strat-style with single coils alongside - I've never noticed a lack of highs.

Interestingly, the blue one has a little different circuit with a kinda boost switch (one's a 3-way where on the red guitar it's a 2-way; I suspect it might change caps?), and another pull-pot boost that's kinda like the "hotter" switch on newer a E-bow, giving more harmonics and gain.

I've never been able to identify the exact models these are as Fernandes makes so many different ones; I'd actually like to find a spec sheet for the circuit, just to know what I'm actually adjusting.

That said, I use my ears, and they sound way cool and look way cool, too - too cool to put 'em facedown on the floor. :lol:

BTW, I think I paid US$250 for the blue one a few years ago, used; the red one was bought in the same store a year later for US$150 - I don't think they realized what they had.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:01 am

The three way switch selects fundamental, octave harmonic and fifth harmonics. The drive pot sets how much feedback/sustain.

It's still a crappy sounding guitar, but a great synth controller.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks!

I think they sound OK for a thin, strat-like rhythm sound, and the feedbacker is pretty cool, especially through some pedals (delay, reverb, etc.), and very cool when stacked like Billy Corgan's Ebows on the Singles soundtrack.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:42 am

here's another shot of the guitar...definitely not a fender unless it was "modified."

look at 2:38 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEttQb3VvN8

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 am

casey campbell wrote:here's another shot of the guitar...definitely not a fender unless it was "modified."

look at 2:38 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEttQb3VvN8

look at this image:

fernandez guitars have a totally different logo than what is on this one, and the headstock is wrong for it to be fernandez...but the first letter does appear to be an "F"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Says, mebbe, "Futurama", what could make it a Hofner or a Fender:

I lean toward Fender, and someone mebbe carved the headstock and changed the pickgaurd, see here and here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 pm

well i know for a fact that the older sx brand guitars had a headstock just like Image

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:59 pm

how about a little help from my friends:

http://guitarz.blogspot.com/2014/07/can ... orary.html

keep watching the comments...there's some pretty knowledgeable folks on there...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Sure looks like that headstock. Mebbe a replacement neck and a re-label?

So many guitars are sub-contracted to companies like Samick that they seem to have interchangeable parts ...

Jack is on the butt, see here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:47 pm

I think this is the same guitar. Not same model, exact same guitar. From http://v-miopia.blogspot.pt/2014/05/o-eme.html?m=1

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:32 pm

:lol:

I agree, yep.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Ok I heard directly from maria reis herself. Its a jack and danny jm10 with a futurama sticker covering the brand name!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:21 am

Cool!

So what's a " jack and danny jm10"?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:45 am