Accidently circuit bent my Casiotone MT400-V --- Help??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

groupsound7
audio school

Accidently circuit bent my Casiotone MT400-V --- Help??

Post by groupsound7 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 am

Hey everybody, first post here for a long time skulker.

I was just about to do some tracking with my beloved Casiotone MT-400V, running it through some guitar pedals into an ol tube amp. I must have tapped one of my pedals too hard and it jostled the 1spot daisy chain I had powering the pedals AND the casiotone. I've used this power set up countless times before with no issue, but I'm sure its not ideal.

Anyway, all the pedals did a little reboot, and my casio switched from its tame beautiful self into a growling, sweeping sine wave, fairly distorted. This was after I switched it off and turned it back on. The sound is constant and LOUD, the main volume does not reduce the noise level but does slightly effect its pitch and sweep. I can play the keys over top of this noise and the noise will change to a specific key's pitch, but super distorted and still similar in tone. It sounds really fucked up, in a sort of cool way, if it werent for the fact that I'm super dependent on this keyboard and its glorious envelope filters.

The growling sound comes out all outputs, and it happens with batteries or a 9v power source.

Any ideas of whats going on inside here? Can I fix this myself with some careful replacement/soldering? Would it be wiser to find a tech and if so, do techs even work on these old casios?

Thanks in advance for the help folks!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 am

Maybe look inside and see if you can determine any burnt up components?

Definitely sample it before you "fix" it too... :-)