Drummers Headphones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Drummers Headphones?

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:46 am

My Direct Sound Extreme Isolation EX29's started shorting out on one side during a session yesterday. Maybe I can fix them, but I'm also maybe looking for something different because they kind don't sound that great anyway. Of course I will try all the phones I have available today including some in-ears. Some headphones just make everything sound weird (because it filters out just enough to make weird resonances ). But what are you using (either for yourself or drummers in your studios)?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

cornsound
pushin' record

Re: Drummers Headphones?

Post by cornsound » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:11 pm

https://www.alesis.com/products/view/drp100

The isolation on these is good (for my melon, yours may differ), they seal good and don't bleed. The sound quality isn't going to blow you away, but they don't sound half bad, they might be a little boring/less hi-fi/foo foo than Beyers or whatever pricey cans people like nowadays. I don't care because they're used when recording my Rogers kit with them cranked up pretty loud w/ a click track, and they haven't crapped out yet after a few years of regular use. I've also used them on long assed flights that offer tv screens/movies/etc, so their isolation factor works 10x better than f'ing earbuds. Previously I gave some Vic Firth iso headphones a spin and they were uncomfortable and sounded meh.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:29 am

weezy wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:11 pm
https://www.alesis.com/products/view/drp100
Looks interesting - I have not seen these before. Looks like they are primarily for e-drums, but could work. I might be leaning toward a set with a replaceable cord though (since that's what I'm fighting with the current HPs).

I have a pair of Shure SE215 in-ears. Never really liked them, but tried them yesterday again and I still don't like them. tried all the ear fittings. They are OK, but tbh, I have a cheap pair of CAD (MH300) over-ear headphones that sound better. I also tried my ATH-M40's and they probably sound the best and have enough isolation that the acoustic drums (bleeding through) didn't sound weird. so maybe will get another pair of these (I usually like to have one pair available for the bass player when tracking bands). I also tried the ATH-M30x and they were not too bad, but didn't have the bass response of the 40's. I could make it work with the CADs in the meantime.
Mike

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:25 am

Yeah, the e-drum angle is just marketing. The Alesis cans are actually worth checking out only because their iso effectiveness is very good. I never used them for any e-kit, and the Rogers set is late '70s and loud. When I try playing with & without the cans it's pretty shocking how much they actually block out.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:08 am

Are the cables removable on the Alesis model?

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:30 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:08 am
Are the cables removable on the Alesis model?
Nope. The connection seems durable enough that I don't foresee having any problem, that being said, I understand some dudes who actually record other people or gorillas might take pause. One could always splice the cable close to the cup and graft in a male & female 1/8" plug.

I can take a pic of the cable connection if anyone needs it.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:07 am

The cables were not removeable on the EX-29's either and Direct Sound wants $50 for a new cable set - that you have to solder yourself. Of course they also want $50 for a cable harness attached to a new set of drivers. What? :crazy: Now the good thing is that the EX-29 are really easy to take apart and service, but I've decided I'm going to replace the current cable with 3.5mm jacks and then I will use a 3.5mm (1/8") to dual 3.5mm stereo (trs) "splitter" cable, and I have one ordered (Amazon) along with the female 3.5mm jacks. So when I get those parts I'll retrofit my EX-29 and then if the cord goes out again it's an easy replacement. I intend to use JB weld or JB weld putty to hold the jacks in place since the ear cups are "clam shell" and each side currently has half of the hole for the cable strain relief.

All this to say that you can probably do the same on a lot of phones that have a fixed cord, as long as you can get them open and as long as they have room for the jack.
Mike

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:25 am

FWIW I'm going to half take back my recommendation on those Alesis cans, depending on what exactly you're after. I have no experience with the Extreme Isolation EX-29 so take this w/ a grain of salt.

I just A/B'd the Alesiseseseses with my daily driver Beyer DT 770 Pros. The general balance and upper freq. response on the Beyers wins hands down as far as sound quality goes. The Alesiseseses have a rolled off, honky quality - not bad, but noticible to us audio cork-sniffers. Totally different headphones for different situations I'm obviously aware of......I'm only using these to track acoustic drums, so I don't care about hearing minute details, as long as I can hear the guide track (mainly elec. guitar) and the click. The Beyer's aren't as loud, while the Alesis'es are loud AF only because the cups are the muff/sealing kind, so no sound is getting out and it's all going to your eardrums. So if you're using them like me, they're totally fine and cheap.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:01 pm

Just for reference, existing videos from Direct Sound tell you how to get them part. Once I got it apart, then unsoldered the existing wiring and added a short pair to the new 3.5mm TRS jacks. I wired both sides to "tip" since the harness I have grounds together ring and sleeve. Since it is a "splitter" the main stereo jack splits tip to the left side and ring to the right side, but at the earphones both are wired TS (hope that makes sense). Then I had to enlarge the existing slot slightly (snips and X-acto knife) so I could fit the TRS jack, and then a little hot glue to hold in place. Works like a charm.
noglue.jpg
noglue.jpg (256.38 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
glue.jpg
glue.jpg (291.24 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
ex-29.jpg
ex-29.jpg (325.27 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:04 pm

if you plan to try something like this, the cable harness:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6L7NT6

and TRS jacks that I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KY7XX34

if you have the single cable instead of the Y yoke style, there are plenty of 1/8" to 1/8" TRS cables out there.
Mike

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:11 am

The king of isolation headphones is the Remote Audio HN7506 - if i got the type number right. It's a helicopter headset with Sony headphone capsules. The ear cushions are so comfortable you can wear them all day and the isolation is top notch, a few dB above everything else. They are expensive.

There's also a pair of isolation headphones by Vic Firth, much cheaper but i have seen a number of them falling apart after a while.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:55 am

believe me, the Vic Firth suck even worse (for sound), but do a pretty good job of isolation. I have an older set and I also have a set that are just to block out noise - no electronics in them. They do that just fine for that.
Mike

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:41 am

The pair I keep around for myself are ancient Koss K6's. They're kinda chunky in a late 70's way, and seal fairly well without being too heavy.

I got my first set of them for a dollar at a garage sale when I was in middle school, which I used until they literally fell apart (after years of drummer sweat, the plastic was dissolving). I've bought other sets (a couple still in package, not sure if they were NOS) on ebay through the years.

There are also Koss Pro4aa's, still in production today, but they have gel earpads, and are really heavy. Looking at their website, they also have a QZ99 that might fit the bill.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Phobos » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:41 am

I have the same Direct Sound ISOs and I use them for drum tracking, also sometimes for vocals if the singer wants the volume loud in the cans. I always tell the artist "now these aren't the best SOUNDING headphones, but"... because I don't want them to think that's what their mix will sound like LOL.

Dok
pluggin' in mics

Post by Dok » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:03 am

frans_13 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:11 am
The king of isolation headphones is the Remote Audio HN7506 - if i got the type number right. It's a helicopter headset with Sony headphone capsules. The ear cushions are so comfortable you can wear them all day and the isolation is top notch, a few dB above everything else. They are expensive.

There's also a pair of isolation headphones by Vic Firth, much cheaper but i have seen a number of them falling apart after a while.
Similarly, the Ultraphones are the same idea (7506 cans with serious isolation) and a smidge cheaper: https://www.gk-music.com/product/ultraphones/