Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: The bottom of the snare

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:01 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 am
I always mic the bottom. If I get tracks from somebody with no mic on the bottom I re-amp the snare track with a snare drum sitting on top of a Fender Pro Jr and mic the snares there. I almost always have an 1176 plug on the bottom snare fast attack/slowest release.
I'm gonna try that compression idea. I usually only compress it in the parallel group.

BTW, Wavesfactory has a few free plugins that include a 'snare side' deal that is pretty effective. Their free transient designer is also really good.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 pm

drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:01 am
roscoenyc wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 am
I always mic the bottom. If I get tracks from somebody with no mic on the bottom I re-amp the snare track with a snare drum sitting on top of a Fender Pro Jr and mic the snares there. I almost always have an 1176 plug on the bottom snare fast attack/slowest release.
I'm gonna try that compression idea. I usually only compress it in the parallel group.
I am also gonna try that. I never even thought about that. I use a gate to shorten the length but I never thought about trying compression and playing with the release.

Also I used to have a pro junior. Such a great little amp (for a non-guitar player at least).
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 pm

I reca roscoenyc as a long-time proponent of The Pro,Jr., using them ( a pair, I think?) on stage with Earle. I think his might have been goosed, as, I believe, were Jeff Beck's.

Lovely amp, awesome pedal platform but good sounding on it's own when ya want that just-at-breakup sound, it's perhaps less used than the down-here-level Blues, Jr., which I never really liked, not least for the reverb, what was the best reason to get it, IMO.

Re the lower-end Fenders, I have really gotten into the Bassbreaker series. The 7w. 007 is just an amazing piece of home-recording kit, and the 15 is great for everything (IMO, sounds even better, also).

I should start a thread on what recording amps.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 am

vvv wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 pm
I reca roscoenyc as a long-time proponent of The Pro,Jr., using them ( a pair, I think?) on stage with Earle. I think his might have been goosed, as, I believe, were Jeff Beck's.

Lovely amp, awesome pedal platform but good sounding on it's own when ya want that just-at-breakup sound, it's perhaps less used than the down-here-level Blues, Jr., which I never really liked, not least for the reverb, what was the best reason to get it, IMO.

Re the lower-end Fenders, I have really gotten into the Bassbreaker series. The 7w. 007 is just an amazing piece of home-recording kit, and the 15 is great for everything (IMO, sounds even better, also).

I've still got 4 Pro Jr's. 2 that were at the Lakeside Lounge for over 10 years. One of those is at Cowboy Tech, the other is in my home rig, re-housed as a head. I have a blonde one that I long term loaned to Sarah Borges then I have my favorite one that's in a Mather Cabs Blues Jr sized cab cut for Pro Jr with an Eminence Tonker Lite NEO 12" in it. That one also has a Mercury transformer and some new tube sockets. Really great amps.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 am

Pro Jr. is the only Fender amp I've ever loved playing out of.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 am
vvv wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 pm

I've still got 4 Pro Jr's. 2 that were at the Lakeside Lounge for over 10 years. One of those is at Cowboy Tech, the other is in my home rig, re-housed as a head. I have a blonde one that I long term loaned to Sarah Borges then I have my favorite one that's in a Mather Cabs Blues Jr sized cab cut for Pro Jr with an Eminence Tonker Lite NEO 12" in it. That one also has a Mercury transformer and some new tube sockets. Really great amps.
This is confirming my gear lust for one of these. I'm currently running a Magnatone Varsity Jr trough a Jensen loaded RCA film projector speaker cab for my ambient guitar project. I love it but at 7 watts it's pretty close to maxed out in a live setting. I've been eying the Pro Jr as a replacement and you guys may have just pushed me over the edge. Only hauling a combo vs a head and cab is a plus too.

Is there any noticable difference between new ones and older models?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 am

I still like the Blues Junior (admittedly I'm not a real guitar player). Easy to transport and loud enough for most gigs. But I also like that Texas blues/Fender sound. Mine is a v2, and has some BillM mods (tone stack and power stiffening) as well as an Eminence Cannibis Rex. Everyone I know that has a Blues Junior seems to like mine better lol. Also, not sure if it affect Pro Junior's as badly, but the V1, V2, and possibly the v3 Blues Junior's have terrible soldering and up until the v4, they literally cook the power tubes - but there are some mods to fix the bias voltage (still haven't done that to mine yet but I need to before I have to replace the tubes again...). The current model (IV) fixes the bias problem. I bought a new tube circuit board and installed that in my buddy's Blues Junior (a Fromel board) and that also corrects the bias voltage. his is working great now (and not shorting out in the middle of gigs like it once did).
Blues Junior can also fit a snare on top of it... 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:33 pm

As someone who has owned nothing but 100 watt tube amps or very loud old Peavey solid state amps for guitar amps, I really do need to get some lower wattage amps that excel in the studio. The Pro Jr. sounds pretty fucking cool. I miss my one knob Epiphone head. That was great in the studio.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm

trodden wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:33 pm
As someone who has owned nothing but 100 watt tube amps or very loud old Peavey solid state amps for guitar amps, I really do need to get some lower wattage amps that excel in the studio. The Pro Jr. sounds pretty fucking cool. I miss my one knob Epiphone head. That was great in the studio.
Cool...looks like the Pro Jr's speaker is connected via a 1/4 jack, so running my sealed 2x12 Avatar cab in place of the 10" speaker is possible. I'm definitely interested now.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:40 pm

trodden wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm
trodden wrote:
Cool...looks like the Pro Jr's speaker is connected via a 1/4 jack, so running my sealed 2x12 Avatar cab in place of the 10" speaker is possible. I'm definitely interested now.
Correct, the speaker jack is on the underside of the chassis of the Pro Jr. Very easy to get to.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:07 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:40 pm
trodden wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm
trodden wrote:
Correct, the speaker jack is on the underside of the chassis of the Pro Jr. Very easy to get to.
Fuck, I may even start playing guitar more regularly if I had a small, bitchin' amp... rather than the MIG 100 that sounds best at 100 db.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm

The only "mods" I did to my Pro,Jr. (tweed) was to change out the speaker (can't remember what, I think a better Jensen) and put a 12AU7 in the pre because I use pedals for dirt and like the clean sound I get without 'em.

Also, there's some screw in the head frame that I recall is like 1/8" too long at the back in some of the amps.

i remember the first time I got a "run" in the grill, was P.O.'d.

Now that there's a few it's looking pretty vintage, what mine is as it's a USA from the early 90's, 30+ years old, yep; I bought it used as a self-wedding prezzie, at the same time as that Gibson American II (new, a Banjo Mart special), about a week after I got married in March, '96.

The, eh, vaz just came in today's mail - note how clean that is.

For now. :twisted:

BTW, note the restrainer on the stand - that is a silicon thingie for strapping tools or a speedometer or bell onna bike - works great and they are cheap. (I posted about 'em before - search for "Bicycle Light Silicone Straps".)
Attachments
ProJr + Gibson Am sm.jpg
ProJr + Gibson Am sm.jpg (137.72 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:06 pm

I use a beta 56 on top of a chrome over brass Gene Krupa Slingerland,with an sm98 polarity reversed in cardioid (not super cardioid) underneath,both angled 45 towards center,2" off rim,just over edge of shell. Plenty of air/snap from bottom mic,not a lot of "Scritch". I have a radio shack pzm on floor between snare and floor tom ,polarity reversed. mono ribbon (Nady) above drums (6'high). Standard xy stereo SE Electronics condensers a foot above cymbals,2 Large Diaphragms at ceiling,as far away as possible.
I track everything live,band in the room.
I process drums as necessary,but I strive for a stereo picture of any drum kit,with as minimal processing as possible.
I delay my room mics 30-35 ms to reduce Haas effect. I might go longer if I want Iggy/Nightclubbing thing.
Drums (minus cymbals) get parallel compression (Valley People Dynamite),tweaked as needed on the buss.
Gate/expand bottom mic as little as possible,just match level to song. A little goes a long way,it depends on the player,the song,the snare. Sm 98 is a wonderfull full reponse mic. Great on Lots of sources,percussion or not.
Just my 2 Cents.
I am the Walnut

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 pm

A little late to the game
This is my hit making Ludwig Acrolite fully dressed for battle.
Bottom mic phased reversed
IMG_20220116_194031868.jpeg
IMG_20220116_194031868.jpeg (223.65 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Ivan the Threadstopper

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 pm

Jarvis wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 pm
A little late to the game
This is my hit making Ludwig Acrolite fully dressed for battle.
Bottom mic phased reversed
IMG_20220116_194031868.jpeg
Good idea with that clamp for the bottom mic. Floor real estate is valuable once the stands start piling up!