Recording Tambourine

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Recording Tambourine

Post by bobbydj » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:12 pm

Which has the added bonus of floating, should you drop it in the river whilst recording in your kayak. Y'know, how y'do.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

CaptainAdultDiapers
gettin' sounds

Post by CaptainAdultDiapers » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to do it all myself yesterday and got a little frustrated. I got a friend coming over tonight so I will give these ideas a try.

Thanks

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:30 pm

One variation I have like in the past is to set the tambourine on the floor and play it with my foot (like a kick pedal). It's a lot easier to do this with the semi-circular ones, but I prefer the ones with a hide. If you use a round one, just use a wedge as a fulcrum. Set the tambo on a rug or fine carpet to cut the transient and use a 57 a couple of feet above. Works for a deadened, jangly sound.

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:52 pm

Hi, i to have been recording tam. My proformer plays it with his hand while holding it on his lap. He said it gives hem more control. After seeing it in action, i tend to agree. Not the traditional style, but, in this case it worked.
Speaking about tambourine -Has everyone seen "Standing in the Shadows of Motown"? I mean I have NEVER seen the insturment make such a contrubution to the music! A real insperation. It was the loudest thing in the mix. And well it should have been. Lead Tambourine? This guy stole the show.
What was his name -he should be in the R-n-R hall of fame, if he's not already!
New Orleans Steve

check us out on the web www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Post by hulahalau » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:35 pm

His name is Jack Ashford.

And take a good look at his technique; it gives the lie to those "experts" who say you shouldn't hit the T with your hand.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:56 am

wood tambourine /no skin/ stapes audio mic/ neve preamp..it sounds so fucking realistic!!

I play every tambourine I come across and must have tried literally hundreds listening for the sound..

Finally got a 50's japanese tambourine[really!!] at a flea market in nyc for $5 it's a Stewart model #919 [ i shit you not!] sounds great...

I keep searching for the Beatles tambourine sound which to me sounds more metallic..
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:00 am

I agree with the playing sitting down, I just 'drop' the thing on my knee rahter then try 'clap' with it, gives a more defintie sound, well I think.

For me a big big part of recording Tamb is treating it afterwards, I use a lot of short delays to get that jangle going on once it's recorded.

Anyone else any tips for delaying or reverbing or [insert effect here]?
INDIE TILL I DIE

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:49 pm

marqueemoon wrote:I you're used to the feel of playing it that way, try folding a hand towel a couple of times and grabbing that with the hand you're hitting so the tambourine whacks that instead of your hand.
I use my winter gloves which arent that thick, but good enough to stop the pain to my left palm.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:45 am

The opposite of what some said ($100 for a tambo?), but consider a toy tambourine.

My kids have lots of little percussion noismakers, and many are very useful. The little Fisher-Price type tambos with only 4 sets of disks is killer.

Now I just have to find a use for my 5 year old's electric drum kit...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:21 am

Anyone else any tips for delaying or reverbing or [insert effect here]?
I've had success sending it through an aux. to a short plate sound from an ensoniq dsp-4, and using mostly the effect return channel.

Speaking of motown / Jack Ashford, check that thWAPP! in Dancing in the Streets, it sounds like tambourine slap,a 2 x 4, handclaps, and a garbage can all mixed together! Delicious..