Sesame Street's API

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Re: Sesame Street's API

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:06 pm

If I remember correctly what one engineer there told me, Harvard owns the space and is not renewing GBH's lease, thus necessitating the move.

When I saw studio A, my first thought was, "God, I'd love to record drums in here..."

inhumentor
gettin' sounds

Post by inhumentor » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:56 am

1 2 3 4 5ive
6 7 8 9 10en
11! 12!

Who's with me?
Keep on Rockin

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:04 am

my friend worked in the sound dept at SS for a while..they have so many nice machines that they dont even use..

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:46 am

NewYorkDave wrote: Since we're on the subject of early '70s kids' shows... I attended a Tektronix seminar earlier this year that was held at WGBH Boston, in studio A. I asked a couple of oldtimers about it, and it turned out that it was the same studio where they shot "Zoom." Remember that show?
Aww yeah. I tried to make 'Zoom Shirt Jello' (striped jello made to look like the striped shirts the Zoom kids wore), and ended up badly burning my hand with the boiling water, requiring a doctor's attention.
chetatkinsdiet wrote:Don't you guys remember how totally FAT Monster's drums sounded? It's obvious to me that it HAD to have been an API.
Who's Monster? Are you talking about ANIMAL?

This thread is brought you by the letter A, the letter P, and the letter I. :wink:

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:48 am

This is veering a bit Off T, but if anyone in the New York area is feeling the Sesame Street love, or wanting to relive the memory of hearing that crazy theme music at the end that JASIII mentioned, you can actually watch old episodes of "Sesame Street" (and Zoom and just about anything else you could think of), at the Museum of Television and Radio in midtown Manhattan. They even have the pilot (first) episode of Sesame Street, where they're like walking around the neighborhood introducing all the characters -- "here's Oscar, he's really grouchy," etc. Pretty wild. I watched both it and "Zoom" a couple of years ago and was blown away. They also have lots of other cool footage, like news coverage of Beatlemania, the original "Playboy After Dark" series, and complete Harlem Globetrotters games with Meadowlark Lemon hitting half-court hook shots from in the bleachers on live TV and stuff. It's pretty cool, if you're ever bored in midtown and feel like checking it out.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:43 am

I wonder if Emmit Otter's Jug Band used that API?
Nah, that console is all about The Riverbottom Nightmare Band!!

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:52 am

I installed it in a home studio in Woodstock.
Who?

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:59 am

While we're almost on the subject, does anyone know if you can get the old music from Sesame Street segements (Those animated ones explaining letters and numbers had some great music) or the Electric Company commericially? That stuff rocked and most likely a very early, lasting musical influence on most of us.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:03 am

I've found some on websites posted here and there, and some is included on the sesame street CD-Rom games as filler; like click on a TV and some old Sesame Street cartoon plays.