Cheap 4 Track?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dgerch
ass engineer

Cheap 4 Track?

Post by dgerch » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:46 am

Hi, can you guys reccomend a cheap, good 4 track to learn on for around $100-150?

Thanks.

zoetrope
pushin' record

Re: Cheap 4 Track?

Post by zoetrope » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:26 am

Zoom PS-04
It's small, it's digital, it has built in mic and effects and drum and bass patterns, and it does a cute little light show when you start it up.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:27 am

Tascam Portastudio

Kil Howlie Day
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kil Howlie Day » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:46 am

I second Ink's emotion on the tascam tip. My friends and I all learned our chops on some kind of Tascam unit.
zzounds has B-stock 424's for $269.00
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAS424MKIII
"i?ve got no time i wanna lose
to people with something to prove"
--Nada Surf

Kil Howlie Day

Post by Kil Howlie Day » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:57 am

that unit is not exactly in your price range, but most will tell you that super cheap stuff is quickly outgrown and i think it's advisble to start with something a little better than you think you might need. also check out the Tascam 414.
"i?ve got no time i wanna lose
to people with something to prove"
--Nada Surf

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:59 am

Do not, repeat not, go near the Fostex x-12. Fucking nightmare. It records at one speed and plays back at another. Also there's this whole artifact thing going on whereby everything above a certain pitch acquires a kind of shitty tremolo effect. Like higher notes on a clean lead part go vibby. Yoweechimo. Vigorous dog bollocks. Reet shite.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

dMiurge
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dMiurge » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:18 am

These days you're better off going digital. There are a lot of low priced digital 4 tracks that actually work pretty well and sound surprisingly good. Four track cassette tape recorders are getting obsolete very quickly.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:25 am

I got a Yamaha MT120S off of Ebay for around $70. I'm not sure how it compares to other 4-tracks, but it serves me well.

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:32 am

I have this Yamaha 4-track. I got it at a pawn shop for $200 many many moons ago. So they should be even more affordable nowadays.
-GABE

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:35 am

dMiurge wrote:These days you're better off going digital. There are a lot of low priced digital 4 tracks that actually work pretty well and sound surprisingly good. Four track cassette tape recorders are getting obsolete very quickly.
I disagree. Not actually, that's not true. All I can say is that I'm deeply ambivalent about it. I love cassette and it has its virtues, despite the nay sayers' rhetoric. But then again, I would also like to have a crack at a digital multitracker. So for me the jury's out. Oh yeah, while 4 tracks themselves might be a dieing breed cassettes are still easily purchased, at least over here. And I much much prefer the analogue storage thing than all this flash ram bumferama.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:42 am

I have an old yamaha mt-120 sitting around that I learned on. I swear, that thing has some magical pres or something. I am often amazed at the quality of some of those old recordings! I would help you out, since I no longer use it, but some time ago it got fabric softener spilled on/in it which has created some problems. Luckily, I had dumped everything into the computer before that mishap.

fillmoresound

Post by fillmoresound » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:27 am

Stick w/ a small cassette 4-track (Tascam, etc). Buy a used one off ebay.. Here's why:
1. Easy to use. You'll learn a lot by experiementing with eq, levels to tape, mic placement. Even for a novice, you won't spend time troubleshooting but you will spend time learning what all the buttons do...
2. Cheap. Few bucks for tape, and machines too - can't go wrong
3. Sounds like nothing else. Tape compression, hiss, warm analog sound

If you're going to go digital, save your money for a DAW and buy it later. If you want to delve into the art of recording, buy a cheap tape deck and start experimenting.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:32 am

exit2studios wrote:I have an old yamaha mt-120 sitting around that I learned on. I swear, that thing has some magical pres or something. I am often amazed at the quality of some of those old recordings!
That's funny, because I always thought the pre's were noisy. Like you-can-hear-the-noise noisy.

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:36 am

Tascam Porta02

real simple...I've since upgraded a bit, but I always go back to it, just feels right...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:37 am

go with a cassette 4-track..they sound more classic..it will force you to work in cetain ways that will teach you much more than the digital counterparts..i feel like more respect is given to the underdog (cassette 4trk user)..and interestingly enough its way simpler to get good sounds/mixes on a cassette..you will learn more with a high amount of limitations i think..