Guitar amp question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Sicily
pluggin' in mics

Guitar amp question

Post by Sicily » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:41 am

Probably a stupid question, bare with me...

I play a Tele through a Fender 212 Deville and when I play through the gain channel there is a constant hum that's bordering on annoying when I record.

When I play through the clean channel, it sounds as clear as a bell. I've tried adjusting my position when playing...I know that sometimes that will help alleviate hum cause by single coil pickups, but in this case the hum just stays the same constant level. The amp has always done this to a certain degree...I just think it's noticeable to me because I live in an apartment and have to record at pretty low volumes.

Anyway, I've had this amp for a few years now, it's definitely seen some use, but I've never done any maintenance to it. Do I need to change tubes? Get it biased? Leave it alone? Any ideas?

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Guitar amp question

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:04 pm

Sounds like it could be a pre-amp tube. Or a capacitator. Or a bad ground. But try changing out the pre-amp tubes, or (cheaper, and it might tell you) just change them around (I believe there are two 12AX7's there?)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mikebuzz
audio school graduate

Post by mikebuzz » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:12 pm

IT sounds like a grounding problem or a bad guitar cord !!!! change the guitar cord , also if your gain is way up there any external noise will be amplified .
switch the ground polarity switch on the back of the amp ( if it has one )

LAter
Buzz

Sicily
pluggin' in mics

Thanks, guys.

Post by Sicily » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:50 pm

Those are good tips...

Actually, now that I think about it, a couple of my cords do need replacing...so I will try that first. DUH! :?

Appreciate the help.

cdsareplastic
audio school

Post by cdsareplastic » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:54 pm

hmmm... I'd try a different amp on hi gain settings JUST to see what that sounds like, but usually a single coil run through ANY high gain amp/pedal/pre, etc. will be noisy.

I'm not an amp tech, but I know that there are several variatons of your pre-amp tubes with slightly different names (12AX7A, 12AX7? etc...) that will change your headroom and distortion charateristics. You should check some tube manuf. and dealer web sites out that will explain which is which. I know that Groove Tubes has a rating system that is color/number coded for different tonal and distortion qualities. Hope this helps.

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:06 pm

I used to have this problem alot with teles (and strats too for that matter)-- single coil pickups sound great, but by their nature, they are noisy. I got some fender noiseless pickups for my tele, and I like them alot (not quite as twangy as traditional tele pickups; more balanced, and alot quiter)

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:08 pm

The constant hum is most likely the 60 cycle hum that occurs with ALL single coils. Only hearing it on the gain stage is normal since higher gain will make it more pronounced. Try a humbucker equipped guitar and see if that gets rid of the hum.
Heurh!