cubase/protools etc

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
isibuko
audio school

cubase/protools etc

Post by isibuko » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:53 am

Hi !

I was wondering if anybody knew where i could get hold of a free copy of cubase or something similar for apple mac for some stuff i've got to record..I tried the free beta copy of protools but this computer doesn't *quite* have enough ram to handle it which is a pain..
i've been doing some stuff with my tascam cassette 4-track and it's driving me *nuts* and a software sequencer would be splendid, but i have nowhere near enough money for a copy..i know pirating software is bad 'n all that but i don't have a spare ?600 to hand !

does anybody have any suggestions ?

thanks !

michael

mixmasterdsr
studio intern

Re: cubase/protools etc

Post by mixmasterdsr » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:19 pm

um, used pirated software? but be prepared for no support on how to use it

isibuko
audio school

Post by isibuko » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:29 am

yeahyeah i know that but i was wondering where i could downlaod the pirated software..it's hard to find on the net for apple mac :)

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:29 am

Instead of trying to track down pirated sw that might be buggy or contain virus that might screw up your system, I'd check out more manufacturers websites for 30 day trial versions that you can use. Or, you can usually grab a copy of Computer Music or one of the other British recording mags, as they seem to always contain a free copy or demo of a different audio app every month.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:22 am

Are you serious?

Don't forget to give away free mp3s of the work you do to.

Buy the program.

mixmasterdsr
studio intern

Post by mixmasterdsr » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:59 am

I was trying to be tongue and cheek about go ahead and do it (pirated software)... here's the deal with that, man. If you use pirated software, it ends up hurting you in the end. Yeah yeah, I know - you don't have the money. But you probably DO have the money, or could get it, if it was a priority for you. The thing is, you can get away with using a krack, or 'warez' or whatever, but I have to tell you, it's more bullshit then it's worth. Your system will crash and you won't know why. You'll spend 8 hours working on a track only to come back to it the next day and have loud digital distortion on every channel. You'll NEVER be up to date with the exactly proper version number that goes with the exact version of the operating system you use, which means you'll have technical problems but you won't know why. You'll never get any kind of answers or support, not from the forums (because they'll know you're a kracker by the type of problems you have) and tech support won't deal with you. Why the hell would you want to fly that way? In all seriousness, I preach here because I used to use a kracked version of Cubase when I was just starting out, and the hidden cost is totally not worth the hassle. You are better off buying something and sticking with it - as well as getting the full support of the product.
If you really insist on finding a kracked copy of something, they're out there and pretty easy to dig up - again, it's just not worth your time and frustration. These apps aren't like Photoshop, they're a lot more fussy. An entry level sequencer is a couple hundred bucks - the time you'll spend trying to be productive on something you don't license is, in economic terms, the raw deal.

You might also post your exact system specs here for your mac. It may be possible for you to get an older version of cubase/logic/whatever that will work with your system. You'd have to do your research, but that's what I'd do.

CaptainAdultDiapers
gettin' sounds

Post by CaptainAdultDiapers » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:40 am

What about Cubase LE? It is pretty cheap and has a lot of functionality. It is also upgradeable (I think).

1chroma7
alignin' 24-trk

Post by 1chroma7 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:01 pm

regardless of the argument about pirated vs. paid-for software...if you don't have enough ram to run the free version of pro tools you won't have enough to run cubase without it crashing every 30 seconds or so.

angryaudio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by angryaudio » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:04 pm

Grasshopper,

Mackie Tracktion is only $80 and it will do everything you need?even on an older Mac. It's a super simple, single workspace program that does all of the audio, midi and effects you'll probally need.

AA
You don't know me.