Scott Hampton ROCKS!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Scott Hampton ROCKS!

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:03 pm

This is very late in coming, but I felt it was important.

I attended the DIY forum at TapeOpCon 2004 and was really blown away by how cool Scott Hampton was/is. I had seen a couple of postings on the board regarding his excellent customer service, but what I experienced in New Orleans went way beyond any expectations.

When I walked into the DIY panel and saw the soldering irons on the table, my first thought was "uh-oh!" I've made thousands of cables and fixed the odd power switch or cold solder joint here and there, but I had never actually put a bunch of components together before.

"What the hell," I thought, "I've got nothin' to lose."

The fact is, I had everything to gain. Just sitting down and doing it - reading through the instructions, figuring out how to read the components (wishing I had some magnifying glasses!) and putting it all together - showed me that, while still a "newb", I can actually do this stuff. I heard similar comments from others in the room. It really was empowering for somebody like me who always thought this stuff was just a little out of reach.

A big part of what made the workshop so successful was Scott's open, generous spirit. I never saw him get the least bit impatient or frustrated in what could have been a very trying afternoon/evening. In fact, he seemed to relish being able to help us all finish our projects. (I was one of the last to get out of the workshop and, sadly, missed Cosmo's keynote speech.)

It's really cool that Scott put together this great project for us, gave freely of his time and was obviously committed to helping this newb succeed. I've heard that Scott gave up a lucrative corporate gig so that he could do stuff that he loved. I hope that we as a community can support Scott well enough to allow him to continue doing what he loves. Because if Scott does what he loves, we get more cool toys to play with.

I'm trying to decide between the Scott's FET or Tube preamp for my next "real" project.

Anyway, kudos and a big thanks to Scott!
Marko

P.S. Jason, who was assisting Scott, was also incredibly helpful and patient.

scotthamptone
audio school

Re: Scott Hampton ROCKS!

Post by scotthamptone » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:19 am

Marko

Thanks for the nice comments. Truth is I had a blast doing that workshop, and was surprised how many people took on building the little circuit. In total, we went through 75 boards and part sets. It looks like there might be a similar workshop brewing for next year. I would like to open the floor to suggestions as far as what people would like to build. Since we have about 10 months until the next conference, there is plenty of time to plan it out. Keep in mind, cost and complexity are the two issues, so we can't get too crazy. I was thinking a very simple opto compressor.

Again, thanks to everyone who participated in the Tape Op 2004 conference DIY workshop, and thanks to Tape Op for having me again.

Sincerely
Scott Hampton
Scott Hamptone

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:21 am

Scott Hampton is the coolest motherfucker on the whole fucking planet!!!!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:49 am

trashy wrote:Scott Hampton is the coolest motherfucker on the whole fucking planet!!!!
I won't hesitate an "amen" here....AMEN!

heylow

RuudUnit
gettin' sounds

Post by RuudUnit » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:51 am

This is good to hear. I'm going to be ordering one of them jfet kits once I get my security deposit back (Die King Properties!).

And I am a COMPLETE novice when it comes to this business...

I'm gonna make a summing bus and then use the hamptone as both a front-end pre and then a makeup gain for the bus.

Somehow I think i'm gonna need to change the kinds of resistors so that it will work with a pre-amp's input impedance, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I think there's an equation for that.

I'm using the MOTU 828 mkII.

It's really cool to be able to afford (cross my fingers that I'll put it together correctly) a preamp of this calibre to tie it all together.

-Eric
Others say he could have been motivated by fear, anger or desire to breed.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:08 pm

which one was he? i forget...

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:09 pm

Yeah Eric,

I built the Jfet as well and, so far, I can't imagine anybody not liking it. It's versatile...can be clean or raunchy with a flick of the pad most times. I had no problems putting it together between the instructions and the pics at the Hamptone site.

It's kinda ridiculous. You get it done and you stand there looking at it, having experienced the build quality first hand, thinking, "I think I just ripped Scott off" for the price.

The guys a f#$kin hero for his love of this stuff alone....a better man than I. :^:

heylow

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:46 pm

wing wrote:which one was he? i forget...
He's the one with the shirt. Y'know... He's got that hair and those shoes. And he's talking and saying things... y'know.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:39 pm

trashy wrote:
wing wrote:which one was he? i forget...
He's the one with the shirt. Y'know... He's got that hair and those shoes. And he's talking and saying things... y'know.
man, thanks!!! you ROCK! you must have a PhD in being awesome!

scotthamptone
audio school

Post by scotthamptone » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:06 pm

DIYers

Thanks again for all the nice comments (although the thing about the mirror ball sounds like it might hurt!?). In light of all the positive feedback regarding the micpre kits, I've decided to raise the price $500 on each of them (just kidding).

Scott Hampton :lol:
Scott Hamptone

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:28 pm

I just finished building both the JFET and the Tube kit.

These kits are fucking awesome. I learned so much from them, and had so much fun making them. Oh yeah, they sound incredible. Totally hot. I've got a Manley/Langevin DVC, an 8 Channel Millennia Media HV-3D and the Syteks... and it stands up to them all! I haven't used them enough to get too familiar with them, but the FET sounds great for kick and snare.

I cannot recommend these kits more. I built each of them in 10 hours (20 total), and now Im pissed cause they're done.

Thanks Scott!
mike

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:03 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but.....

I'm on the "list" for the next batch of Scott's tube pre's and have corresponded with him a bit. The man is professional yet not stuffy in the least. Just a very nice guy.

My question (and I know it's been covered to some degree in other threads) is for those who've built the tube pre and possibly both. Actually not so much a question but a request for some more anecdotal reports, please? I went for the tube pre because I already have an FMR RNP, which I love for it's cleanness, but I hear everyone raving about the Hamptone JFET pre, too....

Hmmmm.....Can his tube pre be fairly "clean" if desired and still have plenty-o-gain, or will it be colored to some degree at all times? Not to suggest that this "coloration" is undesirable, but I'm just curious. I'd be easily persuaded to build his JFET pre, too (and possibly sell the RNP), if I found his tube pre to be outstanding (and all reports seem to indicate this).

Anyhow....thoughts?
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:25 pm

scotthamptone wrote:I was thinking a very simple opto compressor.
Scott Hampton
Hell yes! I'll sign up!

andrewstadium
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewstadium » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:16 pm

What exactly does JFET mean?

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:10 pm

andrewstadium wrote:What exactly does JFET mean?
Junction Field Effect Transistor.

More here and here.

And if you REALLY wanna freak out with your geek out.....here.

heylow