Mackie VLZ Pres

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Randall
pushin' record

Re: Mackie VLZ Pres

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:46 pm

Dude,you made it kind of personal,BTW Joe Jackson got done 20 years ago,,whoops,sorry,,lighten up

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:02 pm

Randall wrote:Dude,you made it kind of personal,BTW Joe Jackson got done 20 years ago,,whoops,sorry,,lighten up
I appreciate the compliment, Randall.

Though I think you should recheck the thread. I believe it is you getting personal. Cheap shots too....cheap shots. Looks bad, Randall....cheap shots are dull.

I'd expect better outta Nashville, dog.

heylow

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:07 pm

I made a general statement and a true one,wasn't talking to anyone personally, I might add,I've seen people in this town throw up a half track in the garage and call it a studio,I know songwriters that play 2 string guitars and cant sing a lick with BIG major label cuts and hit records,,Hey,it's all good,I can live without some of the hokeyer stuff myself but some kick freaking ass records come out of this place

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:24 pm

I just checked out the dammitheads after reading the previous stuff. I thought it was going to sound like shit after all that! I must not know much is all I can say...I thought it sounded pretty damned good. I like the guitar sounds. Sounds like Elvis Costello if he was in his 20's and grew up in America...first tune anyway. My complaint would be the home page where you have to scroll in the box to read the last word of every line. Looks like some web designer has a sense of humor or a sadistic streak!

sonicgirl
gettin' sounds

Post by sonicgirl » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:39 pm

alex matson wrote: My complaint would be the home page where you have to scroll in the box to read the last word of every line. Looks like some web designer has a sense of humor or a sadistic streak!
:cry: Dang.... I'm the web designer :cry:

are you saying you have to scroll left?!?!?!
if so then holy crap I do suck at doing web design.
I haven't seen that on any other system I have been on.
If you could do me the hugest favor in the world and let me know... maybe not in this post, just send me an e-mail or a private message. Let me know, what OS your using what browser.

Thanks!
Jen

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:11 pm

alex matson wrote:I just checked out the dammitheads after reading the previous stuff. I thought it was going to sound like shit after all that! I must not know much is all I can say...I thought it sounded pretty damned good. I like the guitar sounds. Sounds like Elvis Costello if he was in his 20's and grew up in America...first tune anyway.

Yo Alex....

Thanks a ton for the kind words....very flattered indeed!

I'd just like to reiterate that those Mp3s are just what the text says they are....production demos....mock ups of songs to be recorded properly. Its silly to even consider them to be some sort of benchmark of my ability as Randall seems to think they are.

I mean consider if you will that beyond my not being much of a mix engineer...there really wasnt much to mix. The drums were mic'd only by kick and a 57 as an overhead WHILE THE BAND PLAYED...imagine the bleed. Guitar was done the same way as were vocals. I overdubbed a few things like keys...I think the first one has an overdubbed vocal.

At any rate...its all done quick to get ideas together. The reason they are up on the web is that friends dig em and wanted them. Hell...I dunno...I think they're pretty cool for what they are. The actual record is almost done and will be mixed at Tiny Telephone in San Francisco...I'm stoked.

Ok...I'm rambling. Again thanks.

PS Randall....I think you need to reassess what getting personal means. If you feel I attacked you, at least it was something you said here. I did not need to go to your profile and find some dumb thing to insult you about. I found that to be a bit childish. I'm not trying to ignite this in any way...its just how I feel.

To hopefully better times, dog....much luck with the publishing thing you spoke of.

heylow

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:05 am

Good music Heylow.

The one thing I didn't see, in the 'shoot out, stranger rides into town' article, bearing in mind all the testimony of those involved in double blind comparisons, etc. etc., is HOW WELL do the results of said great mackie preamps sit together, in a mix, all together at once?
One of the reasons it's a no no to solo something to EQ it(which EQ should be applied as sparingly as possible, and only when necessary IMHO, and often better as subtractive EQ). is because what you hear by itself sounding great can sound absolutely rotten when thrown back in the stew. Not to mention that in a mix, we're all of a sudden dealing with a second set of preamps,,those driving the mixer itself. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here. Forgive me.
That article is a press release dated Feb. 9, 2000(or is that Sept. 2,,never am sure what dating system is in use with low figures like that), just about 3 and a half years ago, which in this business, is tantamount to ancient history.

I'm personally not that impressed with Mackie(though I freely admit I haven't used any of it myself, though I've been in a studio where it was used,,Mackie with ADATS,,never did like that place, though I use an Alesis Hard Disk recorder, which I do like,,I better like it, it's all I have, presently), but I'm a voice in the wilderness(and do indeed appreciate that fact, really), and if you like it, for heaven's sake, use it. I'm glad we have all sorts of different stuff here, so everything doesn't have a certain sameness of sound visited upon it. With the exception of the fact I own 3 Joemeek units, whenever I cast about in the interest of obtaining yet another frontend/channelstrip, I deliberately choose something different, in the interest of having diversity at hand. Any sameness after that will have to be blamed on Soundcraft, cuz that's what I use to mix.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:31 am

I've got poxey fucking dial-up only, cos I'm in the bastard sticks and they won't run broadband out to us red-neck tossers. We can't even get Channel 5. Pissing hell. So I snatched crumbs of mp3. Seconding the Costello thing. Loved the guitar sound and vox.

Funnily enough I got my ass ragged via a whole slew of PMs the day before yesterday and someone who shall remain nameless shat all over my crap via a profile link. Hahaha. Fucking aider. You do got love this shit.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:25 pm

Hey, I like that damnitheads stuff, too.

You might owe Randall for the publicity, or at least 10% of my cover.

I'll try and catch you playing in Chicago, soon!

As for the Nashville thing, it's like any scene. Remember:
Paint not with too broad a brush that you not splash anything on you.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:23 pm

vvv wrote:Hey, I like that damnitheads stuff, too.

You might owe Randall for the publicity, or at least 10% of my cover.

I'll try and catch you playing in Chicago, soon!

As for the Nashville thing, it's like any scene. Remember:
Paint not with too broad a brush that you not splash anything on you.

Ha-ha...yeah! Perhaps I DO need to send a shout out to Randall after all! :^:

:shock: Jeeezzz.... I sure didnt mean to pimp my band here but...yeah....if you're anywhere near the Milwaukee/Chicago/Minneapolis area or just interested in when the real record comes out, sign up on the list. I generally keep it updated.

Its funny to be saying all this on a thread about VLZ pres but....thanks, everyone, for the praise and kind words. They are much appreciated....I'm stoked!

heylow