In Search Of OverHeads Help!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: In Search Of OverHeads Help!

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:53 pm

The spikey top of the MXL603 may not be the best match to brass. Personal preference on this one. An AKG 414 is my favorite mic. Something sort of chalky tonally about this mic that works well when mic'ing cymbals. In having used the Oktava MK012 on hi/hat and passing on them as overheads, I find them sort of raspy- certainly not as smooth as a Neumann KM85 or KM84 and it's due to what the capsule element is made out of. Cheap mic=cheap capsule. Believe it or not, this will color your sound. I also have encountered weirdness when attempting to record something with a strong spread with small diaphragm condensors. Things seem to drop out of the spread more quickly with a small diaphragm condensor. A convincing, full stereo spread is easier to obtain quickly with a large diaphragm mic.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:59 pm

I'd be worried alot more about what room you want to use the overheads in, rather than what mics. Even the expensive neuman's jeff is recommending aren't going to help much in a shitty sounding room with 8 ft. ceilings.
beware bee wear

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:11 pm

Joeysimms wrote:I'd be worried alot more about what room you want to use the overheads in, rather than what mics. Even the expensive neuman's jeff is recommending aren't going to help much in a shitty sounding room with 8 ft. ceilings.
Well, DUH Joey! Jeff is used to working at Ocean Way and Track Record, so of COURSE we're assuming you're already working in a million dollar room. If you can't afford that then don't even bother showing up. You must be on crack! :wink:

Sis
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:16 pm

What's up with the "you must be on crack" thing jeff?

Even tho you, jeff, have access to the finest gear ever made, and claim to have arranging and pop-hit-honing skills, everything i've seen and or heard on your resume does nothing for me. The truth is, yer heads so far up your ass that you clearly wouldn't know what to do with true talent, and so you come here and try to impress the youngins with your "insights" in the big showbiz world.

color me unimpressed.
beware bee wear

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Even tho you, jeff, have access to the finest gear ever made, and claim to have arranging and pop-hit-honing skills, everything i've seen and or heard on your resume does nothing for me. The truth is, yer heads so far up your ass that you clearly wouldn't know what to do with true talent, and so you come here and try to impress the youngins with your "insights" in the big showbiz world.

Z-I-N-G-!

No pussyfooting here!

:wink:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:51 pm

3db@1K wrote:UTFSF!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

the 012's are great, but theyre super directional and not anything like an LDC like the mxl2001. i just used those on a session and they sounded great. the top end curve really gives the sound of the stick hitting stuff good definition.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:53 pm

A dangerous thing to ask the opinion of what to buy next from a bunch of gear sluts - and terrible to see it decline into name calling.

This isn't politics guys.

As for the microphones, I for one would rather see you get a pair of the Audio Technica 30-series mics. They are not as cheap as the others, but they among the best price/performance ratio available. They are reliable, consistent from mic to mic and day to day, warranteed, sonically fairly neutral, and the company has great service and support from real, live Americans. Better to INVEST in a good pair of mics that will be a nice foundation to a well-stocked cabinet. If you really, really must have four mics right now, then you don't have many options, but if you can swing getting a pair of mics to use for the next few months I think you'll learn how best to use those mics in many situations, and have a better sense of what direction to go in 6 months time, when you've saved enough for the next pair.

-Jeremy

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:13 pm

Professor wrote:
This isn't politics guys.
Apparently it is.

-*-

But you're right that a good rule for buying is to get stuff you can grow with, rather than grow out of.

As for UTFSF, sure, but it's okay if some beginner threads repeat. Part of what makes a BBS great is being a good resouce for beginners.

--JES

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:23 pm

Professor wrote:and terrible to see it decline into name calling
Jeremy, I'm afraid it started long before this thread...

Sis
-Hunter S. Thompson

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:33 pm

once again...those akg c 430 overheads are on sale in musicians friend for 200 dollars. a pair. a matched pair im guessing since they both come in the same box.

ive owned the oktavas in question,and i think these things blow them away.

with the sale price its somthing you should get on right now.

do it!

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:37 pm

FRIZEYED wrote:once again...those akg c 430 overheads are on sale in musicians friend for 200 dollars. a pair. a matched pair im guessing since they both come in the same box.

ive owned the oktavas in question,and i think these things blow them away.

with the sale price its somthing you should get on right now.

do it!
Hm....everything i read about these mics says theyre more tailored for live than studio. since youve used them, care to elaborate on the "blowing away" aspects?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:44 pm

Professor wrote:and the company has great service and support from real, live Americans.
Not to be an ass, but isn't Audio Technica a Japanese company?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:52 pm

Service and support has always been through Stow, OH and/or their reps locally, but you may be right on the parent front - I can't recall.

Those little AKG 430s do look interesting, so I'd be interestedin your opinions on them as well. At first I was thinking of the C-460 and couldn't imagine those going so cheaply, but those little 430s could be useful for the odd difficult placement situation.

As for what overheads to buy, someone paraphrased me very nicely up there, and I'll go a little further on that - get mics that will grow with you, not ones that you'll grow out of.

-Jeremy

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Post by MusicMan » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:43 am

KM-84's - these mics are sick! They can really capture all the lows mids and highs and somehow they all sound clear. I got an amazing drum kit sound using just one of these mics about 4 feet out in front and off to the right. 1 mic on a kit and it got everything - you can't beat that.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:06 am

well for one.they are better matched.i didnt have to spend a whole day at gc fiddling around with ever one they have to pic two that were simmilar. im not an expert on discribing sound,or anything,but they seem a bit brighter to me,and they pic up my toms better at the same time? i dont know. im only using 4 mics on a 4 peice kit with 2 cymbals,and they seem to pick everything up better as a whole than the oktavas.they feel better in my hand,and hell...ive got a big p.a. sitting here with me,so that they are better suited for live sound helps me out too,doesnt it?

im not so worried about dropping the c430s as i was the oktavas(thats how i lost my other one)

ive only had them so far for a few days,and havent done much other than just track myself,but if you'd like i'll elaborate more once i put them in a mix,and give you some vauge ass engineer terms on how they sound...how bout that?

dick