Computer Science vs. Electrical Engineering

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
provide86
alignin' 24-trk

Computer Science vs. Electrical Engineering

Post by provide86 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:30 pm

I was wondering which of these two majors would put me close to the forefront of groundbreaking research and development in the audio processing industry upon graduation (assuming i manage to find a good job).

I'm assuming that audio software offers more to be explored if only because it hasn't been around as long as standalone audio signal processors, though i do worry that the large amount of software pirating would cut down on my ability to make rent in this field.

Can anyone provide a better perspective? I'm starting at UCLA in the fall under Linguistics & Computer Science.
the only war that counts is the war against the imagination

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Computer Science vs. Electrical Engineering

Post by Professor » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Comp Sci would be the better option, perhaps with a minor in EE or something that would get you involved in DSP programming.
Your concern about straight-up software programming seems fairly reasonable, but if you look around at the websites for major manufacturers and look at what jobs they are posting, they are all looking for folks capable to program DSP engines and handle the software running inside their machines. Synthesizers, digital FX processors, modelling processors, DAW recorders (stand-alone and computer driven), audio-computer interfaces, digital mixing consoles, broadcast systems, long-distance audio delivery systems, and on and on, they are all based around DSP processing power and embedded software systems.
Even companies that you might hope would be hiring for analog processor designers, DBX, Crown, Focusrite, even Whirlwind, and more, they're all moving to digital with embedded programming.

-Jeremy

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:41 pm

Do a minor (or better yet, a major!) in math, too.

There's not a whole lot to "explore" anywhere in the audio industry. You should work in a university lab, not dbx, if you want to get into exploration. IMHO. Academia has its own curses though!

Military-affiliated companies are options for "exploring" audio, too.

At this point it might be an ideal time to focus on linear algebra, since convolution processing seems to be all the rage.

Also I have no doubt that Linux will be a valuable platform for future devices. Make sure you're familiar with it by the end of university, if you're not already. :)

Cheers,

Johann
Fellow comp sci geek :D

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:54 pm

the best option is a BS in physics then graduate school in whatever you want to specialize in.

then just take some ee and compsci classes along the way.

Skrasms
gettin' sounds

Post by Skrasms » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:42 pm

From what they have here (Purdue), there's a major in Electrical or Electrical Computer. They're really close but Electrical Computer focuses a lot more on things like DSP programming. I don't know if all schools are like that though... The comp science major here doesn't do a whole lot related to audio as far as I'm aware.

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:55 pm

I go to WPI in Worcester, MA. Getting my BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Overall, a fantastic program with a ton of emphasis in design and audio (there are a few audio electronics design courses.) On top of this, working in a pro studio and doing my own home studio. I feel the EE is going to help me more in the technical realm, but the money is made with the CS kids.

rimbaud234
gettin' sounds

Post by rimbaud234 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:38 pm

Good question. I actually work in Research at a company that has two D's in it's logo :wink:

If you're interested in doing cutting edge research in audio I would suggest a EE degree. Focus on the DSP and audio classes. The CS classes that are common to most undergrad EE degrees will be sufficient. Take classes in psychoacoustics. You should get an MS or PhD if you want to do research.

If you have other questions about the field feel free to write me at bgc(at)dolby.com
(Insert the @ for the (at))

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:24 am

Let's not forget that the last decade has seen a steady stream of innovations in analog gear as well, especially at the mid-level price range.

My advice, really the only advice that works for choosing college majors: try a little of both and see what you like best. Do what you like best.

--JES

djdubious
audio school

Post by djdubious » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:25 pm

I've got hopes of the same. Already got one Bachelor's in History, a Master's in Middle Eastern History, all the while building a studio and loving making and recording music. Next week, I start a second bachelor's in EE with the hopes of working in audio gear design. unfortunately, i rarely see any such job posted on job sites. cross the fingers and dive in..... :(

rimbaud234
gettin' sounds

Post by rimbaud234 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:07 pm

djdubious: good luck. regarding finding audio jobs on boards, it really is hard to find anything. the best thing to do is to target audio companies directly and look on their web sites for openings. if there are none, then try to contact people there and get an informational interview and build a relationship.