HarMar Superstar

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

HarMar Superstar

Post by konabuzz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:53 pm

Anyone else here dig HarMar aka Sean Tillmann, with 2 releases on the KillRockStars label (and a 3'rd coming out in a few weeks)?

I know he's earned considerable noteriety for his audacious whiteboy trash r&b slickster shtick, but ......damn, he's goooood at it! Listen to the Cd's......there's more than a one trick pony happening here. Sure, it's snicker worthy in more than a couple of spots, but he's done his homework and can lay it down.

Anybody have any more background on him or the recording of his two current offerings? Sweet production...nu HipHop flava, but I'm hearing much homage paid to old school styles/sounds, too. By the way, he's from my home town, Minneapolis, but I've never seen him live.
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

knmy
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: HarMar Superstar

Post by knmy » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:41 pm

I'm sorry to say this, but I had the unfortunate experience of seeing him open twice for Incubus on tour. His underwear bit is funny at first.
Your bass sounds like a wet noodle.....

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 pm

I think he is great. He puts on a huge act and its honestly wonderful. I saw him just about 2 years ago and it was a great time. Dont know what his shows are like nowadays, but from what I read, the clothes continue to fly.
I dont think it matters if you laugh at him, or think he's a genius. Either way, he is just about as entertaining as it gets in my book.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

rubykitty2000
ass engineer

Post by rubykitty2000 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:24 pm

I spoke with him once. He was a very friendly guy. We talked about recording - I got the impression that the first record was done very modestly.

Sayer
gettin' sounds

Post by Sayer » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:26 pm

he is a smelly coke head
two bpms & three dudes away from a hit.

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:02 am

Sayer wrote:he is a smelly coke head

Hmm.....sad, if true. I always had the impression, from reading a few interviews, that he's actually a pretty straight shooter and he carefully contrived his stage persona. Who knows....?
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Post by sonic documentation » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:20 am

he's hilarious i met him about two years ago, if you like him, you should check out his rock band, sean na na. good stuff.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:59 am

His music is well-written and his live shows are hilarious. What more can you ask for? Then again I'm a fan of kompressor (www.kompressormusic.com) so who knows... maybe I just have a soft spot for chubby, endearingly mis-directedly intense supergeniuses.

drew

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:59 am

He's pretty hilarious, considering that as a high schooler he was in a pretty good local (Minneapolis) punk band called Calvin Krime. He has since morphed into the Har Mar personality et al.

BTW: Har Mar = a 50's shopping mall in Roseville, MN (inner ring 'burb of the Twin Cities, also home to the original Target store).

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:12 am

you know, i saw him perform at the siren music festival, and I really wasn't impressed. Maybe I'd have a better opinion if I'd seen him in a smaller venue, and I'd had something to drink--- it just really wasn't what I wanted to see right then. I was primarily there to see Mission of Burma.

From what I could hear live, the stuff was well put together and produced. i just didn't find it to be more than a one-shtick-pony. my impression is that one song on a mix tape or compilation could have been funny. the full set was just grating.

beebe
studio intern

Post by beebe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:20 am

toothpastefordinner wrote: Then again I'm a fan of kompressor (www.kompressormusic.com)
you have good logik

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:35 am

i thought he was lame. sorry.
that devil bastard protools