what mics for sibilant vocalists?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
nestle
re-cappin' neve

Re: what mics for sibilant vocalists?

Post by nestle » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:56 pm

421 w/pop filter

jerrymac
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jerrymac » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:42 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I have no real problem with processing, and I fully understand that it depends on the singer, but I really just wanted to hear what other people used/did. Purely a hypothetical question. I've done a lot of these same tricks myself, just wanted other people's input as food for thought.

-jerry macdonald

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:49 am

chetatkinsdiet wrote: A Shure SM7. If that doesn't work, try an EV RE20. If that still doesn't work...the problem is the source.
so true...also try a "kick drum" mic...i use a d12 from time to time.

i know the point of the thread isn't deesser...but the 263 for a very little bread is really awesome...

wasn't there some sort of pencil trick for this?

Mike

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:02 am

i also angle the mic down, instead of rolling it to the side, to tame sibilance.

like if youre using a 414, u87 shaped mic, point the top of it towards the vocalist's mouth. i keep that top part on level with their mouth too.

kellyd
pluggin' in mics

Post by kellyd » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:19 am

I wouldn't suggest the KSM32. Reallly prone to sibilence. I have 2 of them and never use them for vocs. They have a bump that will kill you ya with the deadly Sssss. I would stay away from condesors when recording those problem singers. De-essers are great but they don't work as well as the proper mic choice and your taking a chance that it will work come mixdown.
Ribbon mics can work real well.
If you have no choice try placing the singer as far back from the mic as possible. Mics are more forgiving with distance.

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:35 am

WOW I find the KMS 32 comment interesting. I tried all condensers under $500 and found ALL of them except the KMS 32 and the AT 4047 to be unacceptable. The KMS 32 was very respectable.

My ear is very easily offended by Esss s. I listen to Nashville and sometimes can?t believe it! (How Good it is).
For me the ultimate Esss s killer is a ribbon mic. I use a Coles BBC or a Beyer 260. Close to that would be a M88.

I am also finding that when I got a Demeter Pre Amp that made a big difference. The Demeter made a bigger difference than a major mic upgrade. IMHO once you get to a decent level on the mic side (M88, KMS 32, AT 4047) a pre upgrade will go a long way.

Steve

www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com