TT PATCHBAYS ARE EVIL!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dc11
gettin' sounds

Re: TT PATCHBAYS ARE EVIL!!

Post by dc11 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:11 am

Are any of you taking full advantage of the whole normalling concept?
My knob taste funny

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:04 am

Patch bays are the answer. I've just upgraded from an extensive RCA rack. My Tascam 520 was all RCA so I didn't have much choice. :oops: With the new board and computer, I would have really wanted to do TT, but the cost and time just seemed too much. I've gone with 1/4" which after a bit has worked out ok. It's by no means ideal, but it sure beats the RCAs.

My previous set up was expanded a bit at a time, so it was a nest of wires. A real mess. Being able to start fresh with all new wiring made sense. It took nearly three weeks to make all the cables for 13x48 patch bays. I still have to make the snake for the G16, but that's not a priority this week.

If I had the $$$ and time, and the desire to redo it, I'd probably like a TT bay. Oh well, it's always something, innit?
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:11 am

It is very inspiring to read that I am not alone in my DIY soldering misery, and that all of you have been through this. I felt like maybe I was missing something. Thanks, guys.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:14 am

now I design it and hire it out-
who has that kind of time

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:01 pm

dc11:

yes. taking full advantage of normalling. 2 reasons. i like to send signals thru the patch bays to destinations they almost always go. that way if i have to pick them up and send them somewhere else i can, but they still go where they were intended.

the second reason is because i find the ability to mult a signal huge. with a normal (or half normall actually) you can send your signal to where it was intended to go, and at the same time pick up the same signal, effect it, and send it somewhere else. handy when mixing as you can bring up a heavily compressed, distorted, whatever signal underneath the original for some fun...

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:28 pm

I'm about to go from 1/4" to TT when I move into the new space. I'm not looking forward to the conversion (or purchasing TT cables - OUCH) but I'll be hella glad when it's all done.

-mark

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:46 pm

dc11 wrote:Are any of you taking full advantage of the whole normalling concept?
With certain patch points, you have to. Any sort of non-switchable insert point or sidechain jacks on outboard gear would be good examples. If you have insert cables plugged into the console, but don't have the sends normalled to the returns on the patchbay, your console channels' signals disappear.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:59 pm

Which is exactly what fucked me up so bad on my first try.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:35 pm

i think i planned out the patchbays for my humble little home studio half a dozen times before actually soldering a single thing. i'm self-taught in this whole area and haven't seen too many "real" patchbays, so learning how to best take advantage of normals and simply determining what i should bring to the bay required some revision. and now i'm looking into getting a new console, so it's time to start fresh! the thing has been in a state of half-completeness for about six months now. so i feel your patchbay pain, everyone.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:11 am

Even with my modest setup, patchbays have saved me lots of grief, especially when I'm switching between projects.

As for DIY soldering, I would say this is a simple "time value of money" math that should be answered individually. I dunno, with companies like redco.com, I personally find it hard to justify the medieval torture of TT patchbay and snake soldering. But, as always YMMV.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:16 am

:oops: .....what's tt?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:39 am

TT stands for tiny telephone. it's the type of connector on the patchbay. they're miniturized versions of the type of connector that old timey telephone switchboard operators used. they're physically very small so you can fit a great deal more of them into a rackspace.
they're also really expensive now (especiallay the patch cables themselves) because the pro audio industry is really they only market for them anymore.

on a side note, there'se this bar up here called T.T. the bears and everytime i go there to see a show i laugh as i say tiny telephone the bears outloud.......yeah i'm a dork, wanna fight?
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:49 am

Na, but thanks. Well, I think I'll just stick with 1/4"!
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:10 pm

Is this worth it?

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/ttp96as.html

I ain't scurred of no solderin'!!! :)

honeytone
studio intern

Post by honeytone » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:24 pm

Might be hijackin here...

For my home set up, i invested in a board that came with two really beautiful custom oak racks and four tt patchbays already soldered up specifically for the board included. It has given awesome felxibility, but the problem i'm havin is dirtiness in some points on the patchbay. oh yeah, the drawback in the deal was the age of the set up... so, what is the most effective way to clean patch points? i'm thinking of a small, tt sized wire brush to clean on the inside of the point, but i have no idea where to begin. i've used contact cleaner, but it hasn't completely cleaned up the path. i've also cleaned all the old cables and tested them. any other ideas or direction fellas?

thanks.
If an idea is at first not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
- Albert Einstein