$15. ReAmping and D.I.-ing

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bamse
gettin' sounds

$15. ReAmping and D.I.-ing

Post by bamse » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:11 am

So I have these Lo-Z to Hi-Z transformers. What would be the disadvantage of using one of these for reamping?
Last edited by bamse on Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

krylenko
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: $15. ReAmping

Post by krylenko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:37 am

in my experience, nothing.

I use a RatShack xfrmr between a mixer send and a couple of Arion pedals, then just plug the output of the pedals into a spare channel.
It works great--but one of the pedals is an analog delay, so I have no idea if the *connections* degrade the sound.

I use a mixer channel for the return because you need to crank the gain of the pedal output, plus you get EQ and feedback options.
The send is nice to control the level to the pedals--they distort in an awful way if the input is too hot.

so that covers the reamp requirements--impedance and gain staging--and works for me.
OTOH, I used to plug Boss pedals straight into everything and they sounded great and needed no padding/amplification. I'm only doing it this way because the Arions are wuss.
Are there any bare surfaces in your house, such as tabletops or shelves? Those need to be filled with effects right away.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:54 am

i asked the same question a few weeks back.

the adapter will do impedance conversion but not leveling, as mentioned above.

you can use your mixer send to control the level.

between the 2 it is effectively "reamping."

there is apparently something to be said, though, for using a more high quality reamping device. the reasoning is that by using a "real" reamp (not an endorsement at all, ive never used one), the components they use are going to be of a much higher quality than the $15 radio shack adapter.

seems like a good thing to me. kinda the difference between using a behringer DI and an avalon DI. both do the job but one is likely to sound a lot better at it.

bamse
gettin' sounds

Post by bamse » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:27 am

What about a cheap way of DI-ing?

Milkmansound
george martin

Re: $15. ReAmping and D.I.-ing

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:57 pm

its does not get any cheaper than balanced 1/4" to XLR male... does it?
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

bamse
gettin' sounds

Post by bamse » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:19 pm

Don't you have to change the impedance to ignore thin sounds?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:27 pm

I have simply sent signal via a send so I could trim it, pre-fader, straight out to an amp. I never really got great sounds that sounded like a guitar through an amp. I got a reamp and now I get great sounds like the guitar player was sitting right there playing a great take again, which is why I ask for a clean DI of the guitars if I am mixing a project that I am not tracking.

DI's are SO cheap if you just get some DOD thing or whatever is cheap, and it will work. Whatever works for you is good.

bamse
gettin' sounds

Post by bamse » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:10 am

I thought there was a big difference between the quality in sound of DODs/Whirlwind and Radial/Countryman. Maybe I am misinformed.

I can get a Countryman for $80 I think. Is it worth it?

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:22 am

Is it true that Reamps only work with professional line level? What about consumer line level? My all-in-one recorder's sends are 1/4" TS at consumer line level and if I hook a cord right up to a guitar amp I get a hissy, non-realistic guitar sound. Same problem with trying to go directly into foot pedals - lots of noise. How would I get the right levels/impedence for this type of situation? I assume a conventional reamp isn't going to work here. This has been bothering me forever and my experiments aren't getting me where I want.