Anyone in NYC have experience disassembling an Optigan?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
linus
re-cappin' neve

Anyone in NYC have experience disassembling an Optigan?

Post by linus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:43 am

I've got an Optigan but (as you would expect) many of the keys don't work, it hums like hell, and the speed is variable (but not in a good way).

I tried to take it apart last night so I could start to get it cleaned up/repair it. I took out every screw that seemed like it held the guts in and it was still solid and not moving.

Anyone in NYC have experience taking one apart? I'll buy dinner/6-pack/bottle of wine/whatever you want if you can help me get this apart.

I've checked in at the Optigan message board but it doesn't get much action these days.

Thanks

brianjbauhs@yahoo.com

zzallin
audio school

Re: Anyone in NYC have experience disassembling an Optigan?

Post by zzallin » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:32 am

I had to break mine to get it open. I'm not suggesting you do the same, but I think there are some bolts in the middle of the thing that you just can't really get to. I do not think Mattle expected that anyone would ever try to fix these things although there is a service manual available on optigan.com. The hum can be reduced by switching the plug to a three prong. The variance in speed could be the motor or the wheel that spins the turntable (idler wheel?). The wheel can be resurfaced, but the motor would have to be replaced. I think I have an extra motor if you need it.

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:01 am

If I remember correctly, the thing about taking apart an Optigan is that in order to get at all the keyboard contacts you need to take the sides off first. Once they are off, you can remove the top and the plastic cover over the keys. The other tricky bit is that there is at least one or two screws that are accessed via a hole on the bottom under the keyboard in front of the speaker grille.

It's been a while since I disassembled my Optigan so look carefully before tearing stuff apart. However, you can definitely get it apart without breaking it to do so. Good luck

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:52 am

Dave Amels might know.

http://www.wfmu.org/~dathedj/

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:28 pm

If I remember correctly, the thing about taking apart an Optigan is that in order to get at all the keyboard contacts you need to take the sides off first. Once they are off, you can remove the top and the plastic cover over the keys. The other tricky bit is that there is at least one or two screws that are accessed via a hole on the bottom under the keyboard in front of the speaker grille.
what he said. you shouldn't have to break it to get it apart. you'll probably WANT to at some point though...

-paul m.
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:55 pm

Thanks for the help. I was wondering if I had to take the sides off...

Anyone want to take me up on my offer (booze or dinner whatever) to help me actually take the thing apart? I could use a hand.