adat to lightpipe to protools

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
drewbass
buyin' gear

adat to lightpipe to protools

Post by drewbass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:31 am

can anyone explain, step-by-step how i can (or can i)
1) input 8 signals into the adat, not to tape, and record directly to protools le?
2) use the adat lightpipe as 8 additional onsert points?

do i need yet another interface or more f_ing gear?
thank you thank you
drew

drewbass
buyin' gear

Re: adat to lightpipe to protools

Post by drewbass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:45 am

i got it to work. the internal clock was not set on adat. 8 additional ins, i just need another patch bay. i'm kinda stoked.
drew

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:31 pm

i didn't figure it out, totally at least. it's like i'm carrying on this conversation with myself.
i got protools to track signal from the adat while tracking analogue

can you use the adat lightpipe as 8 additional insert points?

if so how? what setting on the adat xt do i have. i have a sinking feeling it's not possible. although it's nice to have 16 inputs.
drew

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:41 pm

I assume you're using the Digi 001? Should be the same procedure for the 002 but I am not familiar with it. You want to make sure that your optical source is set to ADAT, not other. Make sure that the clock source in pro tools is set to optical (or maybe it says ADAT digital, i don't remember). If using the original default i/o setpus then you should "ADAT Optical" outputs 1-8 and inputs 1-8 under any of the input or output selection menus in pro tools. If you're connected witht he optical cables and settings are correct then you should be able to use the corresponding analog i/o 1-8 on the ADAT deck for whatever you want. Hardware inserts? Sure. I'm not completely certain of the settings on the ADAT deck itself but you probably want to be monitoring input and have the clock source set to internal. No ADAT tape should be necessary.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:05 pm

thanks family.
i'm cool until your last sentence about adat settings.
i'm getting insert signal from pt 002 to the adat xt.
i'm getting signal through a compressor, but i'm not hearing the effect back in pt when i change the analogue compressor's settings.

to sum: from adat to pt works
pt insert to adat1 to adat to analogue comp works, signal back into pt not working.
thanks family, or any other answers
drew

mechanic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mechanic » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:13 pm

this is gonna sound dumb, but...

hit record!

ie... if you're in playback and your playing back out stuff... whilst bringing it in... you gotta be recording to see levels...

possible this is it?

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:57 pm

thanks mechanic, you can monitor and adjust inserts during playback without pressing record or record enable.(i did try it just in case.) thanks just the same.

i'm still getting signal, hearing and seeing, back from the adat, but no change in effect can be heard when i change the parameters on the compressor (although it is regitering on the external compressor)

signal to the adat does stop when i take out the insert. so far that'snot a problem,
getting it back with effect is the problem,
drew

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:08 pm

I think I understand what's happening here. A hardware insert in pro tools (insert menu: choose i/o #n) requires send and return on the same number channel but how can you simultaneoushly monitor the input and output of the same channel on the ADAT? I don't think it allows this. Try sending the output of a track in PT to an ADAT optical output and then return a different numbered ADAT input to a new track or aux input in pro tools.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:38 pm

A hardware insert in pro tools (insert menu: choose i/o #n) requires send and return on the same number channel but how can you simultaneoushly monitor the input and output of the same channel on the ADAT?

Exactly my problem, thanks for taking the time to figure out what i was trying to say!

i'll try the alternate routing you suggested.
if there is anyone who uses adat for inserts, please contact me and tell me how
thanks, drew

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:10 pm

drewbass wrote:can anyone explain, step-by-step how i can (or can i)
1) input 8 signals into the adat, not to tape, and record directly to protools le?
2) use the adat lightpipe as 8 additional onsert points?

do i need yet another interface or more f_ing gear?
thank you thank you
drew
The adat will need to be in pause/record. The lightpipe will need to be patched into the PCI card. The tracks will need to have their respective adat inputs selected and the pro tools software will need to be switched to 'optical' sync.

Should present no problems. Cheaper though, sell the adat and get a Behringer ADA8000 and run it as a permanent optical sync to your 001. It sounds way better than letting your 001 clock to the internal PC clock.

fyi

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:47 am

thanks jeff, i can't do digital and analog input at the same time on the adat, digital-signal from PT analog- signal from outboard gear.

have you tried the ada8000? i can use that for 8 additional inserts?
thanks
drew

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:59 am

drewbass wrote:thanks jeff, i can't do digital and analog input at the same time on the adat, digital-signal from PT analog- signal from outboard gear.

have you tried the ada8000? i can use that for 8 additional inserts?
thanks
drew
I don't understand what you're saying.

The adat should have signal fed to it- analog from a console- the output will be digital to your pro tools rig. In pause/record, the adat should put out digital signal from an analog input. I have many friends who use these in this fashion. Do not send a digital signal into the adat.

What I was suggesting with the Behringer unit is to sell the adat, take that money and buy something more versatile (the ADA8000) and you'll probably still have money left over to purchase some other much needed equipment.

Running the Pro Tools from a better clock source- it's true, the Behringer clock even makes the 001 sound better due to the architecture of the host PC system.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:08 am

my protools 002, not 001, i don't have an 001, has 8 analog outs i can use as inserts. i'm not using a console.
i can use those as inserts -or- i can use the adat lightpipe for 8 additional insert points through the lightpipe.
i want to use the 002 inserts ADAT 1thourhg 8 through the adat.
i am unable b/c the adat cannot take digital (from PT 002) and analog inputs (from the outboard compressor or eq) at the same time.

can you use the ada8000 as 8 additional lightpipe inserts from pt 002 via lightpipe to the ada8000 and back via lightpipe to pt 002? (no console)
drew

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:11 am

here's a review of the Behr ada8000 from zzounds which leads me to believe that it came from someone on this board. bobbydj? wing?

"It's awesome!"
Feature:
Could use a rear jack (for a butt plug).

Quality:
Nice for hanging my wigs on.

Value:
Goog deal

Desirability:
Very sexy and this unit is fun to have sex with.

Sound:
It's butt does shink a little.

Support:
My breats are still saggy.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:26 am

drewbass wrote:my protools 002, not 001, i don't have an 001, has 8 analog outs i can use as inserts.
The 001 has 8 analog outs too. You can also lightpipe out to a particular 8-channel device. Essentially, you can have 16 analog outs (8 with the 001 and 8 with lightpipe in to the peripheral device like the Behringer ADA8000). The 002 should allow you do the same.
drewbass wrote:i'm not using a console.
i can use those as inserts -or- i can use the adat lightpipe for 8 additional insert points through the lightpipe.
i want to use the 002 inserts ADAT 1thourhg 8 through the adat.
i am unable b/c the adat cannot take digital (from PT 002) and analog inputs (from the outboard compressor or eq) at the same time.
The confusing language here is that you are actually using 'outputs' as insert points. Does the 002 actually have dedicated insert points like the Aardvark Q10?
drewbass wrote:can you use the ada8000 as 8 additional lightpipe inserts from pt 002 via lightpipe to the ada8000 and back via lightpipe to pt 002? (no console)
drew
Knowing that you'd be running a dedicated digital input to the Behringer from the 8 main outs of the adat lightpipe link from your 002, you should have no problem running those back into your 002 with their own inputs. Routing would be assigned via the software in Pro Tools, so you'd be able to avoid any feedback loops. The issue you'd have to deal with would be the additional 56 sample delay from the D-to-A and A-to D on each sound you'd send out of the 002 to outboard effect. You'd have to delay each track in your mix that much to line up with those sounds going out to the Behringer (or those going out the 002 interface as well). That's the reality of this digital domain. Nothing happens instantly, you have to convert.