MC012 pads

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

MC012 pads

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:52 pm

Has anyone actually tried putting two of the Oktava MC012/ MK012 pads in-line for 20dB of reduction? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them. Or if anyone's got any thoughts on the possibilities of modding them for more gain reduction.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Re: MC012 pads

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:30 pm

That combination works just fine Chris. No problems.

To me it makes the mic sound more like a dynamic mic. The high's are not nearly as crisp and the lows and lower mids are very smooth.

It's a very useful tone.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:36 pm

Thanks, Kenny! That's a drag that it dulls the mic noticeably. I'll try it anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts about something like a -20dB mod? Is that even possible?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:57 pm

I didn't express that accurately. I meant to say that the change in tone is a very nice and smooth change. The 012's are on the bright side and the -20dB pad remains transparent and very functional without muddying anything up.

It's a quality sound that you wouldn't expect from stacking 2 filters on top of each other.

I'm not aware of a mod to the capsule or the pre-amp to accomplish the same effect. I think any attempt to mod the mic's preamp would just increase resistance (a negative effect).

Michael Joly would be the definitive person to ask on that one. His specialty is the Oktava's, more so than anyone else I've read.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:35 pm

Cool. I happen to like the detail on the top end of the MC012s. I think they're so much less offensive in terms of brightness than many of the small diaphragm mics available today. I'm curious, though. Again, thanks for the tip!

Chris

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:43 am

Wouldn't a Shure in-linw pad do the job?

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:04 am

Just curious, What do you need that much attn for? Don't most preamps have pads before the Xfmr?

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:25 am

The pad is just a capacitor, which is all you need to pad a condensor (which is really capacitor itself). So you could put in a larger value of capacitor and get more gain reduction.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:07 am

Thanks, guys! using a Shure in-line pad is a cool idea, but it won't help keep the mic preamp from overloading. Not that that's really the issue. I've been really digging these things as tom mics and I've found that they sound SUPER-GREAT through the Sytek preamp. The problem is that a nice, well-hit tom puts out too much level for the Sytek. I've used the Shure pads before for this and they've worked fine, but I don't have any of my own (although I need to get some--they're VERY handy devices). I do, however, have an abundance of MC012s and was thinking about sticking the pads on some of the ones I'm not using in-line on the ones that I am.

I've got a session on Sunday where I may try this out. Thanks!

Chris

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:33 am

cgarges wrote:Thanks, guys! using a Shure in-line pad is a cool idea, but it won't help keep the mic preamp from overloading. Not that that's really the issue. I've been really digging these things as tom mics and I've found that they sound SUPER-GREAT through the Sytek preamp. The problem is that a nice, well-hit tom puts out too much level for the Sytek. I've used the Shure pads before for this and they've worked fine, but I don't have any of my own (although I need to get some--they're VERY handy devices). I do, however, have an abundance of MC012s and was thinking about sticking the pads on some of the ones I'm not using in-line on the ones that I am.

I've got a session on Sunday where I may try this out. Thanks!

Chris
I've done this plenty of times especially when using it on the bottom of a snare. I like the results and also I used an inline whirlwind pad -20 ($10) when I used MC012s or AKG451s as overheads through my Sytek. That's my only complaint about Syteks, they should add a pad to them.

L
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:52 am

I like them on bottom snare, and I always use the pad.
Seems fine to me.
This is about the only thing I use them for anymore.

rauri76
takin' a dinner break

Post by rauri76 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:07 am

Beware!
You can damage the diaphragm on those MC012's if you are micing loud sources, the pad doesn't prevent the diaphragm from moving too much.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:51 am

Oh I've only miked toms with these things about 50 times. They can certainly take the SPLs without a problem. It's overloading this specific mic pre that I'm concerned with.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:24 pm

Beware!
You can damage the diaphragm on those MC012's if you are micing loud sources, the pad doesn't prevent the diaphragm from moving too much.
mmmm.... i have to call you out on that... i've used these things on snare drums with the pad in and it worked just fine. i saw an experienced engineer (don depew) use one of these on a wide open marshal (no master volume, trust me it was LOUD!) a few inches away from the speaker cone this weekend and it was fine. i know that this mic doesn't like big puffs of air like vocal "pops" but other than that you can use it without fear...

did something happen to yours?

-paul m.
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:47 am

I have mic'd toms with these things like a zillion times. Like every session since '99, and they rock for toms. I actually prefer these to any other mic I have tried, regardless of the price tag.
If one blew up on you it was defective or you did something weird.

I have subjected these things to SHITTY conditions like in front of a snare that was being played by a fender twin during mix time. I was out of tracks on tape, so I was just running it as a return. The amp and the mic were getting blasted for like 7 hours almost non stop. Fine.

Anyway,

Chris,

I tried a lot of things when I first started using these things for toms, and then I realized I was simply putting the m,ic's too close to the head. I backed off about 2 inches, and the pre's thanked me for it, as I could actually get 4 clicks off "0" with a sytek, and the gain structure was more correct and it sounds better and there is still hardly any bleed from the cymbals (which still feels like magic with these mic's).

I was amazed at how much difference 2 inches made in my structuring, and the tone opened up quite a bit, even when being bludgeoned by a mountain troll of a drummer!