Neumann CMV 563

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
PT
pushin' record

Neumann CMV 563

Post by PT » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:14 pm

Any opinions on this mic?

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Neumann CMV 563

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:32 pm

24 matches for "563."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:42 pm

I hear you, but...

Is there a post that talks about the 563 specifically? Not just "I use a CMV 563."

Any comments about this mic specifically, from those who currently use one or have used one? Likes, dislikes, etc...

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:12 pm

yeah I saw it too, looks nice espeicially the 3 caps

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:35 pm

Here's one:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=21475

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:14 pm

I heard a couple of these as overheads(spaced omnis), and they sounded amazing. It was going through a Neve sidecar, but none-the-less, I was very impressed. They are cheaper than 47s or 67s.

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:46 pm

Like any older mic, they all sound a little different. and they might require manitenance, and the original power supplies all need to be recapped or you need to buy a new one from the mic shop, korby, ot tubelife.

That being said, you want to own at least the M7s capsule, this is the short M7 capsule that looks cool on the cmv. Also, its the cardiod capsule and sounds great. This is the buttery capsule that people are talking about with the old neumanns. The Mk55 omni capsule is extremely bright on axis (its directional in the high frequencies) but does a nice pop vocal off axis. It is also a great room mic for drums and guitars, especially if you play with the placement and angle from the source. The M8 sucks in my opinion. its a bad sounding figure 8. I havent heard the M9 but it does not come in a short body so you need the extra adapter making it loook like a lollypop on a long stick.

This is a really great mic with a lot of character. A little dark and a little overly creamy for some applications (m7s capsule) but fantastic none the less. Just be sure your ready to own an OLD microphone.

Frost

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:51 pm

cgarges wrote:Here's one:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=21475

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Thanks! So we know Joel uses them. What about you, Chris?

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:56 pm

Frost wrote:Like any older mic, they all sound a little different. and they might require manitenance, and the original power supplies all need to be recapped or you need to buy a new one from the mic shop, korby, ot tubelife.

That being said, you want to own at least the M7s capsule, this is the short M7 capsule that looks cool on the cmv. Also, its the cardiod capsule and sounds great. This is the buttery capsule that people are talking about with the old neumanns. The Mk55 omni capsule is extremely bright on axis (its directional in the high frequencies) but does a nice pop vocal off axis. It is also a great room mic for drums and guitars, especially if you play with the placement and angle from the source. The M8 sucks in my opinion. its a bad sounding figure 8. I havent heard the M9 but it does not come in a short body so you need the extra adapter making it loook like a lollypop on a long stick.

This is a really great mic with a lot of character. A little dark and a little overly creamy for some applications (m7s capsule) but fantastic none the less. Just be sure your ready to own an OLD microphone.

Frost
Many thanks, especially for the maintenance info.

Now, is there a "short" M7 capsule and a "long" one? Or is the short neck specific to the M7? Seems like a short capsule would be better for placement.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:58 pm

Oh...man I was thinking of bidding on that...

Hell..I can't afford it.

Ach.

jx
gettin' sounds

Post by jx » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:59 pm

just used mine tonight- recorded my upright piano using the m55k pointed down into the lid- sounds great- total 'smile'/'beatles vibe. great for acoustic guitars too.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:34 pm

This is a premier mic. We had 3 when I was Chief Engineer at Master Control in Burbank. We had the M55K, M7, M8 and M9 capsules. Some had the short neck others the long and the M55K screwed on the end in blunt fashion. The M7 caps got the most use. Clear, clean and pretty uncolored, but natural sounding. Unlike the C12 which sounds too clean with little personality, this mic has a great character.

Listen to 'Mockingbirds' from Grant Lee Buffalo's Mighty Joe Moon, we used the mic on Grant's vocal (through an API 312 through an 1176), the 12-string acoustic guitar (through an API through an 1176) and on the Cello which I believe went through a Neve 1063. Those mics got used alot, but this recording shows the CMV tonal character. Well worth the cash and probably even well worth investigating the Blue Kiwi which is a knock-off of this mic.

the_riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the_riff » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:50 pm

I recently bought one of these and I finally got a chance to do some vocals with it this evening. Mine has the M7 capsule with the Bayonet mount (make sure you get one of these as you can use Blue mic capsules as well). Anyway, this mic is great! Coming from a 4047 this was just the mic I was looking. It's clear as hell and when it breaks up it's beautiful

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:02 pm

PT wrote:Thanks! So we know Joel uses them. What about you, Chris?
So does Adam. If you want me to hold your hand, I could give you links to all the topics I found using "563" or "CMV563." But you seem like a smart guy. :-)

While I've never used one in an actual session setting, it's a mic about which I've been curious and have been keeping an eye open for a good deal. Other priorities have been getting in the way, though, and it's becoming apparent that with more and more people posting about them and asking questions and whatnot, finding a good deal is going to be less likely than it used to be.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:24 pm

The pair at studio G is amazingly good. I got mine with the M7/M8/Mk55 for each.

I also got NOS tubes for them not long ago. I love these microphones. These are the best kept (not anymore) secret of the neumann family.

I have tried them on everything, and they always work. if you can find a good pair, they are worthy for room mics/OH/ ACgtr in stereo....

Vocals are primarily where I wind up putting one on a stand, or room mics.

Get one now, beofre they are hugely expensive. People are realizing what they can do, and the price is going up quick....