I found the worst drum sound ever

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

I found the worst drum sound ever

Post by Fieryjack » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:24 am

I UTFSF, but couldn't find the post on worst drums. I have found the worst drum sound in the world.

It is on Eric Carmen's "All By Myself". Drums (which are actually SOLO'd and PROMINENT) sound like garbage cans in an auditorium.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Re: I found the worst drum sound ever

Post by Devlars » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:37 am

I don't know....was listening to an 80's best of CD this weekend and that song with the lyric "Always something there to remind me" horrible horrible drum sound. They sound like paper bags with little explosions going off when their hit.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:42 am

Sound like drums to me.

Why the crap were you listening to that? (Eric Carmen)

St.Tammany
audio school

Post by St.Tammany » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am

Actually I used to play out quite often with Eric Carmens old drummer from that era, Don Krueger. He's a brilliant drummer and gets a great drum sound even in crappy Cleveland bars. Don't know what happened on the albums though.
I also believe the studio in Cleveland where that what recorded faded out like Eric Carmen

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:41 am

Devlars wrote:I don't know....was listening to an 80's best of CD this weekend and that song with the lyric "Always something there to remind me" horrible horrible drum sound. They sound like paper bags with little explosions going off when their hit.
Hah that song is AMAZING.

That entire song is entirely done on synths. It sounds like the song is from my Casiotone.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:52 am

hey, raspberries are awesome...

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:45 am

MichaelAlan,

How would you know whether they sound like drums or not unless YOU were listening to it?

Rasberries are great....Fuzz guitar on Go All The Way is the first I remember hearing (and noticing) in my life.

bulley
audio school

Post by bulley » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:28 pm

The kick drum on The Verve's Life's An Ocean has to be the worst kick drum ever known in the history of mankind.

but then in writing this it's occured to me that you're all american and probably never heard of the verve.

balls.

bulley

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

Post by brokenchairs » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:04 pm

hey, we're not stupid!

we know who the verve are.

...at least i do.

slimjw
pluggin' in mics

Post by slimjw » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:28 pm

bulley wrote:but then in writing this it's occured to me that you're all american and probably never heard of the verve.
Yeah, the Verve are so street and underground and unknown to us. Kinda like that little UK indie band OASIS. Wonderwhuuttt?

The album Urban Hymns and it's single Bittersweet Symphony were played relentlessly on MTV and commercial radio here when they came out and the album sold assloads of copies. There are segments of the population here that aren't aware of the Verve, but this board probably isn't comprised of those folks.

As far as bad drum sounds go, I really can't stand all the late 80's gated drum sounds with canon fire reverb all over the snare. Just pick a hair metal band from that era and witness the destruction. It seemed like everything had to be completely over the top dramatic.

One of the things that's cool about the rise of hip hop from a production view is the acceptance of weird percussion sounds in popular music. Has anyone listened to Missy Elliot's newest record? The sounds on that thing are pretty wild. Like the submarine hits on Wake Up? Timbaland is the man.

bulley
audio school

Post by bulley » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:46 pm

errr, didn't mean it in an elitist way or anything. genuinely meant it an a didn't think the verve got played in the U.S kind of a way.

soz.

bulley

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:41 pm

slimjw wrote:As far as bad drum sounds go, I really can't stand all the late 80's gated drum sounds with canon fire reverb all over the snare. Just pick a hair metal band from that era and witness the destruction. It seemed like everything had to be completely over the top dramatic.
The Chameleons had that sound on a couple of their albums (mostly "What Does Anything Mean...") and it doesn't really bother me in that context, though it does sound dated. They were the best band ever, though.

It doesn't even bother me in the hair metal context because everything in that music is over the top, so it almost seems like it was supposed to be that way. It's mostly just the music (and the musicians) that bother me. I think the worst part about the gated verb on drums in the 80's was the ballads.

I hate most of those mid/late seventies drums that sound like they replaced the drumheads with a wet towel and played it in a room FILLED with so much foam, the drummer had to get his oxygen through a rubber hose. Like, not just foam on the walls but a room completely stuffed with foam. Damn.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:09 pm

bulley wrote:The kick drum on The Verve's Life's An Ocean has to be the worst kick drum ever known in the history of mankind.
I don't know the kick on that Herbie Hancock song Palm Grease really sucks! Sounds like someone taping a ziploc bag with their finger. Don't get me wrong Mike Clark rules and that is probably the sickest drum beat a white guy ever played, but the kick sounds like crap! And that album was recorded at Wally Heider's WTF!?

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:43 am

bulley wrote:The kick drum on The Verve's Life's An Ocean has to be the worst kick drum ever known in the history of mankind.

but then in writing this it's occured to me that you're all american and probably never heard of the verve.

balls.

bulley
I LOVE The Verve, A Northern Soul is their best album in my opinion. I don't know that I would agree with you on the kick drum though. Yes it is very "beater" sounding but it fits the song....if I'm wrong then just remember that Owen Morris was usually so pissed and or "off his tits" on something when producing that record that it could be the only acceptable excuse for the sound if you simply don't like it. If I remember correctly I read that after a take of the title track he was so excited and whacked out that the chair he was using to seat himself in was turned into the weapon of choice busting the glass out of the control room!
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

bulley
audio school

Post by bulley » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:10 am

it just sticks out of the mix like a sore thumb to me. i'd imagine owen morris's intoxication had something to do with it. Like the start of Oasis's cigarrettes and alcohol where he claims to have been too pissed to bother muting any of the noise at the beginning. it wouldn't be the same without it.

bulley