master fader raider

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jc
takin' a dinner break

master fader raider

Post by jc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:52 pm

okay:

you love yr mix. couple or some hours fiddling, and nuancin the level of every fader, and it sounds great now.

BUT

you are hitting the two track too ass hard. its not lookin pretty.
probably nothing will break or sound tooo effd, but they ARE paying you to not fuck up their record.

Q:
master fader is all the way up at unity of course,
so do you bump the master a lil OR
bump every channel on the board and waste the mix you like?
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Re: master fader raider

Post by Bad Halen » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:52 pm

I'm assuming you're going to tape cuz you mentioned 2 track but i'm not sure.

Also, why do you want to raise the master fader if you're already hitting the two-track too hard?

More details, mang.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:16 pm

i'd back down the master myself...

does it sound good in the red? if you've got the tape to spare you could do 2 mixes for safety.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:21 pm

Spotty wrote:I'm assuming you're going to tape cuz you mentioned 2 track but i'm not sure.

Also, why do you want to raise the master fader if you're already hitting the two-track too hard?

More details, mang.
umm, i'm sure the poster meant bumping the Master Fader down.. since bumping it up would force it more in the red.

Depending on how much your nailing it.. i'd do two passes if you can afford the tape.. one how it is, and then give the MF a little nudge down to where your not hitting as hard... listen, compare, listen, decide. hell send both to mastering and let them decide... but i'm sure you can make a confident decision.

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:29 pm

so

maybe what i really mean is:

after you bump down the master fader, do you feel like a WUSS?

i do :P
Last edited by jc on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:56 pm

Bump down the master fader. As long as you're not clipping the L/R buss (the pre-fader summing amp, that is) then you're okay.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:04 pm

Probably half the mixes I do are with the master fader below unity. It all depends on the console, but to my ears, many of them really develop their "character" when the channels are cooking, although on certain consoles this requires that the master fader get pulled back a bit. The master fader level also determines how hard I'm hitting a stereo buss compressor if I'm using one, so sometimes that requires being back a bit, too. It's also not really a bad thing to have a few dB between your peak and 0dB, especially in high-res (24-bit) land.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:43 am

Yeah - my console has this area of non-linerity on the mix buss that I use sometimes for that 'hot cookin'' sound... and the master fader has to be brought back a touch for it...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:23 am

Spotty wrote:Also, why do you want to raise the master fader if you're already hitting the two-track too hard?
On many consoles, unity on the master is all the way up. What the poster is asking is where and / or if he should cut some sonic slack.

I would do one or 2 as is, then try lowering the master for a couple. I have found that tweaking the individual faders, especially trying to do it in any uniform fashion, ruins a mix in around 8 seconds!

I do try to pfl everything and adjust trim at least twice: at the beginning, and after any eq changes, but, like cgarges says, sometimes the console doesn't really 'open up' until you're hitting hard. In fact, my soundcraft delta is sort of known for that "choked" sound. I have heard that the power supply can be improved so that more juice is running throughout, but i have no skillz to attempt that myself.
beware bee wear