next step up from an otari mx5050 1/2" 8 track

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
prince turbo lung
pushin' record

next step up from an otari mx5050 1/2" 8 track

Post by prince turbo lung » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:15 am

I love this little deck, but it is limited in its fidelity. The mighty mx5050 has served me well for the past 5 years, but i would like to step up. i already have a dedicated daw running nuendo with mytek converters and it is great, but i find that most people who work with me want to go on tape as of late. Recently i have been starting on th e mx5050 and then dumping tracks into nuendo where tracking continues, and then mix on an analog desk. the problem i find is this: the mx5050 has this beautiful thick lofi sound, and the daw has an accurate hifi sound. I am constantly trying to get the most hifi sound out of the deck, and a lofi sound from the daw to make them mesh................
where is the middle ground??? of course i would love some sort of 2" deck, but it is unrealistic for my small space and infrequent work load. What about 1" 16 or 1" 8 tracks?? or is there a 30ips 1/2" 8 track? who works on these mediums? is it the fidelity i am questing for? and the burning question... if someone suggests a deck, please discuss reliability / matinence issues of the deck... that is the main attribute of the 5050 it is like a volvo..take care of it and it will run forever...

1 other possibility: anybody ever try to mod the cards in the otari to make them more hifi?
its on like donkey kong!!!!

corinpills
ass engineer

Re: next step up from an otari mx5050 1/2" 8 track

Post by corinpills » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:06 am

Just out of curiosity, exactly what is "lo fi" about your Otari. To my ears, my Otari 8 track sounds fabulous, a lot better than any DAW system (although I've never used RADAR and people swear that sounds great). By "hi fi", do you mean sterile? Seriously, just a little confused about you terms. I'm sure someone more experienced can help answer your question about a logical format move, but I think you've got a pretty kick ass set up.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:53 pm

Is the Otari properly aligned? You begin with a MRL reproduce tape, get the repro as flat as possible, then set bias and record EQ and levels.

Bri

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:13 pm

I'm no expert... but isn't the mx5050 mk3 8 track pretty much the high point for the half-inch format? Standing right beside the Tascam 58?.

Wouldn't your next step up be a 1" 8 track or a half inch 4 track?

If track width and tape speed equal fidelity to you, then that's pretty much the only place to go isn't it?

Otari made a few 1" 8 tracks i think... along with all the big tape machine makers....

Jack endino's got some cool info on his site.... endino.com and there've been quite a few threads going into detail on the reliability and performance of tape machines here on this board... but i can't point you directly to them.

i like my otari.
tape is good.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:18 pm

i've seen a couple otari machines that have been modified to run closer to 30 ips... so that's a possibility.

how about a re-cap of the boards? That would probably give you a much beefier signal... and the machine's definitely old enough to be able to benefit from a recap.

Or maybe what you need is one of those fancy NEW machines Joel's been pimping on the board???

i'm just talking to make sure my ears still work

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:40 pm

ive recorded a bunch of great stuff on that deck (otari 50)
I have a 1/2 inch 4 track ampex and I can hear a bigger sound on my drums and bass with the wider tape format .Ive been looking at the 8 track 1 " as well
(not wanting the big 2" decks for tape cost and maintinence ect )
It seems to get a bit blurry on opinions in this format .
ampex mci and otari being the avalible machines
from all Ive read , your always gona want a a 2" 16
but from where i stand now , getting a 1" 8 and a daw sync'd would be tits
butb what do I know ,.. Im at yet another boring christmas party , hiding away in the coat room on this guys computer

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:50 am

i went to a couple da38 and notice the quailty difference...down...but still very workable and the extra tracks make better quality.

check into a 1 inch 8 track...the tape costs though...didn't otari have an MX70-8? that seems logical.

maybe check into a mixdown deck. every since i got mine i've mixed nothing to it and it's changed my life. :)

just kidding...january i start mixing on it.

Mike

corinpills
ass engineer

Post by corinpills » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:15 am

Extra tracks make better quality? I had no idea.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:38 am

corinpills wrote:Extra tracks make better quality? I had no idea.
sure. more options. ever tried to do a whole punk band bussed to one track in a practice space in like an hour? i have...it's a gamble no matter how wide the format is.

i get where yer coming from - but the trade off? whoa.

Mike

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:57 am

I'm gonna go ahead and throw out 1/2" 16 track...heh... 8)
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

corinpills
ass engineer

Post by corinpills » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:01 am

I don't know. I'd say that more options is often where recordings go wrong. You stick to 8 tracks and a lot of times you're going to end up with what is essential about the song and whether or not you've actually got a good performance of a good song or not. If there's been one thing wrong with my recordings over the years it has been too many options.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:10 am

"I'd say that more options is often where recordings go wrong. "

been down that road on 2 track, 4 track, 8 track, 16 track and 24 track. makes absolutely no difference. putting a hairshirt on doesn't help.

"If there's been one thing wrong with my recordings over the years it has been too many options."

talk to yourself...not your tape machine.

Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:14 pm

If you're considering a 1" 8-track instead of a 2" deck due to size you might want to reconsider. A 1" machine is in a full console like a 2" machine. There are smaller machines out there. The 3M M79 is pretty small. I think it's about 27" wide, and not very deep. The MCI JH-24 is a bit wider, deeper and taller (at the deck). The new Studers (820/827) are not very big either.

As for maintenance, bench time is the same rate for a 2-track as it is for a 24-track. Multitrack recorders need work in the logic, or motors or transports as often as the channel electronics. If you're going to do a full rehab, recap, mod situation, then less tracks will cost less money. Re-lapping is less money with smaller heads too. Though a full set of 2" heads is $515 for a JRF re-lap. That IMNSHO is well worth the money, a bargain really.