Behringer. Tempting bastards..

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Pinkertonfloyd
audio school

Re: Behringer. Tempting bastards..

Post by Pinkertonfloyd » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 am

Personally I wouldn't be tempted by anything by behringer that involves their converters. A/D and D/A conversion is definately not behringers strong point. Also after a recent inspection of their "tube" mic pre (which has a tube, which does absolutely nothing) I wouldn't be tempted by their pre's either. In my opinion, if your going with behringer stick with the vintager series or go with snatchman's suggestion and go with the older behringer gear.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:20 am

Just realised how much i like that shirt, and it's lots.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

the dice
pluggin' in mics

Post by the dice » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:25 am

for heavy bands...

i sometimes use a behringer compressor on the snare. (while recording) it squeezes the shit out of that thing.

i see it more as an effect.

the convertors sucks.

used it once on a 002...never again.

and since when are the room mics less important than a hh or a floortom?!

but i guess that's a matter of taste.

imho, save up and buy an apogee rosetta800 or something.

10 X more expensive

but 100000000000 times better.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:40 am

snatchman wrote:Confession time.( I know I'll get flamed for this) but.... I have quite a few pieces of the "Older" Behringer gear that I still use. Here is the clencher.. (drum roll).. I've been using it since around 1995' or so, and none of it, I mean none of it (knock on wood) has stopped working! This gear comes from the time era when noted engineers such as Robert Scovill was endorsing the Behringer gear (FWIW). To me (IMO), the older Behringer gear was better made, used better components than the newer Behringer gear.(IMHO). Try picking up an older piece, and compare the newer gear in weight! :ar15: ...... I'm running now.. :lol:
Catch his ass!!! :twisted:
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:53 am

hey - wtf? i opened this thread in mozilla and alerted me that snoopdogg.com was trying to set a cookie --

yikes
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:58 am

The problem with this stuff is that it has no resale value, never really works that well to begin with, and has such poor components that even just running through them shaves some of the goodness from your sounds. It also costs just enough that the 250 that you would buy a poor quality converter with is the same 250 you could put into a shoebox and work towards a nice piece of equipment that you would be proud to own, and if you get sick of it or quit or need the money or whatever, it will hold its value longer and better than a piece of poop. There are so many cool used pieces of gear out there that are built better and still costs less than a new vberinghger thingy. Any of the symetrix compressors are better. any DBX compressor is better. any anything is better pretty much.

If someone told you they would sell you a castle for 400 dollars, but it was made of balsa wood and glue, it wouldnt be a deal, right? Even if it got you something that might feel cool for the first day (or until it rained or the wind blew).

Just save up and get something that will reveal the weaknesses in the rest of the chain, then start spending every penny you ever make on gear. That is the tried and true method... ;)

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:57 am

Oh, Behringer is the true brand of the desperate and the damned. I should know! Trying to get away with using it, is kind of like driving a car you've made yourself out of Reynolds wrap.

But it does WORK, in a using-your-own-hands-for-canoe-paddles kind of way. In my days of subsistence recording, sure, it was like painting a tuxedo on a T-shirt, but I was glad it was there. Kind of like the first house you made out of cardboard--you were proud, whatever it looked like.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

teamdresch
alignin' 24-trk

Post by teamdresch » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:59 am

Page 2 seems to be the 'no' page :)

It's making sense to me though. I'd probably be better off with a sweet mic or pre that I can use on everything than an extra track or two that I can get by fine without.

mcdisease
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcdisease » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:45 pm

Ha, Behringer's whole purpose in life is to work just enough so you know what you're not looking for in gear X, where X = the crappy silver compressor, pre-amp, mixer, monitors...you just bought. It?s secondary function is to leave behind it's Behringer skid mark on your recording until you can afford to shovel yourself out of the crap hole you bought yourself into. This way you?ve learned a valuable lesson about gear and what you?re really looking for when you replace it.

Man, I can't wait to get that sweet Behringer mixer I've been looking at! 24 channels, EQ that tells me where the feedback is, on board DSP, perfect for studio and live applications all for $326?yeeesssss.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:54 pm

Andy Sneap uses 3 or 4 behry compressors, has the balls to list them on his gear list and (I suspect) has sold more albums this week than all you fux put together

DEAL WITH THAT!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:56 pm

My post office loves Behringer. I keep them employed sending my preamp back to be replaced.

But it's getting nearly painless now. Last time it took only 27 seconds over the phone (they don't return email as far as I can tell) to get my RA -- I have the feeling they get a lot of stuff returned. :?
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:49 pm

The cool thing about the couple pieces of Behringer gear I own is that, when they break, I don't care.

"Hey, Ben. You're Composer Pro just crapped out."

"Sweet."
I am wangtacular.

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:53 pm

thom yorke!!!....joel hamilton!!!...Snoop!!!

this is like ...totally interactive....celeb-reality

tape-op style

lazy eye and crooked teefs G

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Post by Cappy*tan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:29 pm

*Wondering what happened...if anything...with Wing's friend who bought the $9k worth of Behringer gear.....