how much time spent on your own projects/paying work

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

how much time spent on your own projects/paying work

Post by dungeonsound615 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:57 am

Im curious as to how much time people spend recording there own music and if they actually release the stuff they record of there own. I try and stay busy with paying work but as we all know were not always booked all the time with paying work. So im trying to think of some projects and things to record in the down time and how many other people here do this or if they spend there time just looking for more clients to work with.

hope this makes sense
Mike

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Re: how much time spent on your own projects/paying work

Post by JohnSuitcase » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:34 am

Hi Mike,

I like to do a bit of recording of my own band, and I do release it, if possible. I think recording yourself can give you the opportunity to experiment without worrying about a paying client feeling like you're trying to learn on the job. Also, I just really like playing music, and recording it is great fun!

Another thing to consider is whether you could spend your downtime listeing critically to other recordings, on your studio monitors. Nothing helps a mix like being really familiar with your own mix equipment and room.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:36 am

The last studio I worked at had almost no paying work and had turned into a QC testing environment for the parent company. The one before that had no down time at all but my partner and I would try to mess around with our own stuff or some pet projects after closing. The studio before that had plenty of down time so we recorded the boss' tunes and a spoof CD, but just for fun and to show friends. Nothing ever got released at all. Another thing we did was to test new gear by writing/recording a song with it.
As for my own home studio, the division constantly changes but right now I'd say 2/3 paying, 1/3 not, and I also use it for testing gear that I'm A/Bing, building, or repairing.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:40 am

JohnSuitcase wrote:Another thing to consider is whether you could spend your downtime listeing critically to other recordings, on your studio monitors. Nothing helps a mix like being really familiar with your own mix equipment and room.
Yes, this is huge. I forgot to mention that. Done regularly at all studios I've been affiliated with.

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:17 am

I spend about 50% on my bands stuff and the other 45% on other peoples stuff.

we have released a CD and we are working on another

We have been only open for a year so we are still getting our name out there; so we have open weeknight that we can work on our stuff and the weekends are for mostly other groups to come in.

-Zach
CDb Studios[/url]