Removing vocals from a track.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Removing vocals from a track.

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:36 am

aishabag23 wrote:
Caldo71 wrote:Racism is Gay
... does this mean 'racism is happy and carefree' or 'racism is homosexual'? guess you're a white hetero male thinkin' you're pretty cool and witty and funny.

:kotzen:
guess you're a little uptight. :roll:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:02 am

dwlb wrote:
aishabag23 wrote:
... does this mean 'racism is happy and carefree' or 'racism is homosexual'? guess you're a white hetero male thinkin' you're pretty cool and witty and funny.

...guess i'm a little black and a little gay & i don't need this shit when i come here to get advice and learn about making music.

hey, i don't blame you.... you've probably never had to deal with this stuff. one day maybe you'll grow some empathy for the rest of the world and realize we're all just trying to learn here.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:57 pm

cowtrax wrote:Never tried it, but couldn't one perhaps take the original difference signal and phase-cancel that against a mono-summed version of the original signal?

Kinda like enoding a standard L/R signal into a MS matrix, and only using the resulting M channel....

I think the Waves S1 can be flipped into MS mode, and on L/R signals the result would be the M on one channel and the S on the other.
I'm sorry - what? I have been staring at this for literally minutes, and I am confused. What is MS mode? And is there going to be a way about this that does not require a second mortgage to get waves plugins?
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:06 pm

aishabag23 wrote:
dwlb wrote:
aishabag23 wrote:

...guess i'm a little black and a little gay & i don't need this shit when i come here to get advice and learn about making music.

hey, i don't blame you.... you've probably never had to deal with this stuff. one day maybe you'll grow some empathy for the rest of the world and realize we're all just trying to learn here.

Well, first off, please don't go making assumptions about my level of empathy or the type/amount of discrimination I have or have not had to deal with in my life. You have no idea. Don't, in fact, assume I am white and hetero. You may be wrong.

And while I would not presume to interpret someone else's statement for him, what I got out of "racism is gay" was irony. When I was a kid, "gay" was a perjorative that for us had nothing to do with homosexuality--the way it filtered down to us prepubes, since we had no concept of sexuality, was that "gay" just meant something that wasn't cool. And yeah, that's wrong, but we didn't know it at the time and only later did we figure out that wasn't the coolest thing to say. Of course, most of us say "that sucks" all the time which is only a degree away, but I digress. Actually, I don't, because that's the point of "racism is gay" as I see it--it's an ironic statement that intolerant speech of any sort is wrong, even the unconscious kind. "That sucks" or "he got gypped" or "I gerry-rigged it" or "stop ragging on me" are all examples of discriminatory language that we use in everyday life without thinking about their larger, hurtful meaning. So, "Racism is Gay"--it's an ironic statement, simultaneously condemning racism and homophobia. It's a political statement, and he has as much right to say it here as you have to misinterpret and object to it.

Caldo: am I way off-base here?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:19 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:
Zeppelin4Life wrote:yep, math doesnt lie, it works perfectly everytime.
especially when you take the sqaure root of a negative number..
hahahaha
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:38 am

Milkmansound wrote:
cowtrax wrote:Never tried it, but couldn't one perhaps take the original difference signal and phase-cancel that against a mono-summed version of the original signal?

Kinda like enoding a standard L/R signal into a MS matrix, and only using the resulting M channel....

I think the Waves S1 can be flipped into MS mode, and on L/R signals the result would be the M on one channel and the S on the other.
I'm sorry - what? I have been staring at this for literally minutes, and I am confused. What is MS mode? And is there going to be a way about this that does not require a second mortgage to get waves plugins?
Sorry to be confusing! :(
MS mode is Mid/Side.

I think this will work:

-Mult your L/R stereo pair to two sets of faders.
-Take the first pair, polarity flip one channel, put the faders to unity, and send them down a mono buss. This creates a "Difference" channel, where everything that is common to both channels is cancelled out.
-Take the second pair, and flip the polarity on Both channels, and send them down a second mono buss. This is a "Sum" channel, with it's polarity reversed.
-Mix the two mono busses together, and, I hope, the common elements in the difference channel and the sum channel will cancel out, leaving only the 'Center' information. You might have to play with the balance between the two busses, but I think it might just work.

(Now that I think about it, it might leave only the non-flipped channel from the first pair audible. It could be that I've described a complicated matrix to simply turn off/down one side of a stereo mix! Argh. Now I'M confused. I'll have to try this at the studio today...)

Okay - go looking through your hardware and software for anything that does Mid/Side encoding/decoding, and run your stereo mix through it, One setting or the other (encode or decode) will matrix your stereo L/R mix into separate Mid and Side components. You'll hear it when it's working.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:45 am

aishabag23 wrote:

I took it as the latter, i think the gag or point being made is describing one ism in the percieved negative light of another, it tickled me the first time i saw it. It's like those people you meet who are really trying to be PC, but get it all tied up and mangled, like old ladies who think that describing someone who is black is derogatory, so they use coloured instead.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com