Tascam MS-16... help! Tech needed in Los Angeles.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
subspaceplatform
audio school graduate

Tascam MS-16... help! Tech needed in Los Angeles.

Post by subspaceplatform » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:29 pm

I have a Tascam MS-16 that I bought used that won't play tapes. The pinch roller doesn't move towards the capstan when I press "play". I can push the pinch roller down in "play" mode, and it will stay engaged, but the reels don't move. Sometimes it will actually play backwards for a few seconds...

I know I need a new pinch roller because the rubber surface is as smooth as glass, but there's obviously some other issues at work here.

Also, the remote doesn't power on...

Everyone I've talked to wants me to bring this thing in for service, but it's way too big for me to transport without renting a truck and employing the help of some friends.

Any techs in the Los Angeles area willing to come over and get this thing working? I'm in North Hollywood. PM me.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Tascam MS-16... help! Tech needed in Los Angeles.

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:33 pm

These aren't the best made decks, but they do sound pretty good. I'd suggest this, rent the truck and run this baby over to Teac in Montebello right off the 5 freeway. Have them go through it. If you just picked it up, they could give it the thorough once over and leave you with a machine set to spec. If it's only one visit, spend the dough now.

In the future, see if one of the techs at Royaltone, Hensen or Cello would take a look at it. Those guys are usually for hire on the side. fyi

tomasz
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by tomasz » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:45 pm

I owned my MS-16 for 10years and the roller (the thick one on the right side ) was always shiny NOT rubbery and it never seemed to cause any problems. The one on the left is surely rubbery.
Before you call for service make sure the tape is threaded correctly. I remember doing it wrong once and the tape would actually spin backwards or not move at all. If you need a picture email me and I can take a digital photo of the page in manual and email it to you. I hope the solution is as simple as that. good luck
tom
ginglat@att.net

subspaceplatform
audio school graduate

Post by subspaceplatform » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:15 pm

I'm threading it according to the diagram on page 4-1 of the manual.

Good to know I don't need a new pinch roller, though.

I actually did find a tech at one of the big studios that's going to help! Wish me luck...

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:06 pm

i've got one of those machines.

trust me, when the pinch roller goes, you'll know...