general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

Post by atdunlap » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:15 am

OK, I'm not trying to be hostile here, but I do have to ask... What's with all of the animated GIF avatars? Sometimes when I'm trying to read a post I feel like I'm going to go into an epileptic seizure or something.... Should we really have to hit "STOP" everytime a post loads so that we can read it without getting a headache?
When in doubt, try it anyway... it just might work.

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: Avatars...

Post by maz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:21 am

I haven't ever seen an animated gif avatar on tapeop... you maybe should have your eyes checked or something. Ask Wing about it.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:43 am

some other messageboards actually ban animated gif avatars, for the exact reason you noted. some of the gif avatars are funny, but others can make me crazy pretty quickly.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:48 am

trekky95 wrote:OK, I'm not trying to be hostile here, but I do have to ask... What's with all of the animated GIF avatars? Sometimes when I'm trying to read a post I feel like I'm going to go into an epileptic seizure or something.... Should we really have to hit "STOP" everytime a post loads so that we can read it without getting a headache?
UTFSF......F!

atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

Post by atdunlap » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Forgive me, but I *did* and don't see anything *directly* pertaining to animated avatars... Cripes - are some people just on here to antagonize others... Everyone here is getting tired of being told to "UTSF!!!!!" (with fifteen exclamation points)... What don't you guys get? The search function SUCKS! It sucked when there were 25 pages worth of posts in the forums and it sucks even worse now that there are hundreds/thousands... It's overloaded - It was never meant to take this many posts... Jeez man. Lighten up, for all of our sakes.
When in doubt, try it anyway... it just might work.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 pm

well, what kind of response did you think your question would/should get? First, it's posted in general recording and has nothing to do with recording (but is clogging up the problematic search function you love so much). Second, it's a personal choice what avatars everyone uses. You could talk to Hillary and see if she'll ban them or PM someone who's avatar bugs you.

But pretty much, your post- "what's with all the animated GIF avatars?" - doesn't seem to really ask a serious question, and again, it's not related to recording, so it doesn't seem that it wants a serious answer.

Scientifically speaking, I would conjecture that all the animated GIF avatars represent an outpouring of individuality, representing an existential search for the significance we all crave. But that's just one layman's opinion.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:46 pm

some of my favorite avatars are the animated/motion ones. I think you're just a tight ass, and can't figure out how to do it, so you don't like them. hahaha

Please dont' ban them, Hillary!!!
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:59 pm

trekky95 wrote:Should we really have to hit "STOP" everytime a post loads so that we can read it without getting a headache?
Man!! I KNOW!! :roll:

I really do know though. :hammer:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:31 pm

trekky95 wrote:Forgive me, but I *did* and don't see anything *directly* pertaining to animated avatars... Cripes - are some people just on here to antagonize others... Everyone here is getting tired of being told to "UTSF!!!!!" (with fifteen exclamation points)... What don't you guys get? The search function SUCKS! It sucked when there were 25 pages worth of posts in the forums and it sucks even worse now that there are hundreds/thousands... It's overloaded - It was never meant to take this many posts... Jeez man. Lighten up, for all of our sakes.

I'm in....put me down for 2. I can pay.

!!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:38 pm

djdrake13 wrote:some of my favorite avatars are the animated/motion ones. I think you're just a tight ass, and can't figure out how to do it, so you don't like them. hahaha

Please dont' ban them, Hillary!!!
No shit.

Trekky,you should have seen my fun ones where everyone threw a fit.. i could see them grossing people out so i understood.. but i think you're just being silly. take your riddilin.

i'm in for two as well, i'll pay..

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

Post by monkeyboy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:48 pm

I love my animated avatar.

Go kurmit Go!
Nerp!

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:02 pm

monkeyboy wrote:I love my animated avatar.

Go kurmit Go!
id like to say that your avatar is fucking great and should never leave. Its too awesome

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:08 pm

The fucking kermit is awesome... the masterbating cat is funny at first, but then oddly disturbing. I'm just glad the eyeball operation and the vocal chords are gone...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:12 pm

wedge wrote: I'm just glad the eyeball operation and the vocal chords are gone...
just say when, i'll bring ol eyeball back.. he's been begging me.. and so have all of you...

red_robot
audio school graduate

Post by red_robot » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:25 pm

i thought the cat is swatting at newly-excreted....uh...excrement? hmm...

to the OP, i would recommend downloading and using Firefox, which allows you to right-click on an image and block anything that comes from that server. I've used it a couple times for some of the more ridiculous avatars to make my lurking more efficient and less stomach-turning.
wedge wrote:The fucking kermit is awesome... the masterbating cat is funny at first, but then oddly disturbing. I'm just glad the eyeball operation and the vocal chords are gone...