Pacific Pro Ribbon deal by versuviusx please read!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Bodhisan
audio school

Re: Pacific Pro Ribbon deal by versuviusx please read!

Post by Bodhisan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:06 pm

My vote is with versuviusx.

Bodhisan

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:09 pm

PPA's got a 30-day warranty now too.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks v for all your work. I think most of us feel better spending en extra 30-40 on the security of buying it from an established company, plus the 30 day.

I had a thought though. If we all add 1 dollar to our order from PPA, ala 1040EZ, it could go towards a 'versuviusx appreciation fund' that would get you the mics for free in the end. Silly sounding but I'd do it. Anyone else?

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:27 pm

hi syrupcore
your post was very nice and generous but i highly doubt that the fund would come to existence. but thanks for taking the time to read what i had to post anyways. have a great one

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:31 pm

the 30 day warranty can be administered becuase of low probability of mic damage. that way he doesn't have to check the mics. and if someone calls about a damaged mic, he can send some to replace because he has obviously made enough money to spare a mic or two. no one would ever offer a warranty unless they knew the probability. so that's a simple one. i'm sorry if i seem to still be resisting this, but i have a very strong mind and i say that with no egoism.... i also have done my research and i have spent the last week consuming all of my time with it. i think it's safe to say that i probably will lose this one but i still say question everything.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:31 pm

syrupcore wrote:Thanks v for all your work. I think most of us feel better spending en extra 30-40 on the security of buying it from an established company, plus the 30 day.

I had a thought though. If we all add 1 dollar to our order from PPA, ala 1040EZ, it could go towards a 'versuviusx appreciation fund' that would get you the mics for free in the end. Silly sounding but I'd do it. Anyone else?
$1 isn't a big deal. I'd do it.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:33 pm

This type of risk is cool if you get one hell of a deal, 150 for 2 mics is one hell of a deal. 2 for 218 is a great deal?

Heck if we wait the 45 days MF will probably have the Nadys on clearance for $150! LOL

I signed up to versuviusx's deal when it looked like $140, a lot of people have, and they said they could pay. Are all of you that signed up on versuviusx's thread going to jump to PPA?

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:35 pm

also
origionally it was pscottm who made the reference to each mic being 70 dollars. then people talked about it, and then i felt that if i didn't do something it probably wouldn't take off because it would just be talk. so i started the "lets see who's really serious post" which got absolutley crazy...and then PPA happened to be at the right place and made an offer. so i do a little feel like the idea was hijacked but i'm glad this offer will be realized and that everyone will get a great deal on a ribbon. i just wish i could have finished what i started.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:40 pm

I appreciate everybody's work on this. This is really cool.

In regards to my post in another thread asking about this, I wanted to make sure:
a) No one was fighting with eachother to close the deal themselves (i didn't think so),

b) No one was trying to pull the deal (and everyone's commitment to paying) out from under the other (again i didn't think so), and,

c) There weren't 2 seperate people who BOTH felt i (and anyone else) had commited to sending them $220, only one of which could possibly get this from me, leaving the other feeling like I had cheated them somehow. This was my main concern.

I've been communicating with both parties, and feel a certain amount of loyalty to both and don't want either to be upset if i go with one over the other. To be honest, I trust both wholeheartedly, but have a small amount of nervousness about sending money to anyone I don't know. I also have accountabilities- I make VERY little money, live in an expensive city, and have a wife who is incredibly understanding of my love of recording and my occasional need for gear purchases. She does, however, expect me to make these purchases wisely and I have to honor that.

Because of this, it's not just a matter of which is cheapest but a matter of which offers minimum risk. But the peacemaker side of me wants to first make sure no one is getting burned.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:42 pm

kakumei47 wrote:
syrupcore wrote:Thanks v for all your work. I think most of us feel better spending en extra 30-40 on the security of buying it from an established company, plus the 30 day.

see that's what doesn't make sense even though i went through the math.
there is no more risk going with an individual vs going with a buisness. i mean isn't ppa really just one individual with some employees? what's the difference between one guy and 2 friends packing mics? just because you have a buisness doesn't mean that you are more vallid or more trustworthy. there are a lot of crooked buisnesses....and also note that i am in no way saying that PPA is crooked. what i'm saying is that they are just as dependable as i am. we are both humans who are both capable or succeeding or failing. that means that i have just as much of a chance of doing the same job for less which i have shown with the math. and like i said before anyone can offer a 30 day trade in option because there is very low risk. also i hope you guys don't think that i'm being condescending...because i'm not i just really believe in what i'm saying. it reads fierce but it's really not.

the other objection could be that he has more experience doing this kind of work and that's why we are going to go with him. have i not showed you how far i have gone to see through the math. i have done the same thing that he has...except cheaper. just because he has more experience doesn't mean that he is even better or more advantageous. that's like me saying that i'm better at being a tape op patron because my post is 200 and PPa's is only 13. that's a little crazy. it does mean that i have more experience with posting, but does not indicate that i'm better than him in any kind of way and yet we have the same capabilities in respect to posting.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:47 pm

versuviusx wrote: what's the difference between one guy and 2 friends packing mics?
A storefront I can walk through, bat in hand and an established reputation so I dont need to really worry about doing the former.

I'm still in the for the buck.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:53 pm

thanks for your post Jmiller. i think you are right on with your point. we both have the same risk as we are both human. i have covered all the risk in this post and i have researched it greatly, because i would be bummed out just as much for losing the mics in any kind of way. but i do know this.
that the price that PPA quoted did not contain insurance for shipping to you once the mics got within the USA. he probably knows that the chance of the mic getting damaged is low or low enough for him to just buy some extras and then recoup someone if it does happen occasionally. that way he saves money and hence makes money. if i were doing a cost analysis on this that's what i would do because it makes sense...economically. but ideally the best thing to do would be to offer some insurance because it would make more people feel comftorable and my cost structure was so low i could do it. also i have included ocean insurance in my figures just incase the ship goes down. i think that's crucial..cause you never know. and the benefit totally outweights the cost. so then the only risk is the mfg not coming through and just taking the money which is highly unlikley because they are a huge corporation, and risk of damage from sending it from a place in the united states to the end user. that's it.
also not to sound arrogant but i have a background in FIN and MIS.

Pacific Pro
audio school graduate

Post by Pacific Pro » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:49 pm

Actually, the mics will be insured.

You are correct, the 10% ended up being more than we expected, this started as a 100 piece deal. That is why we could added the 30 day warranty. Everyone was happy with the price but some people were bringing up the warranty issue so we chose to do that instead of backing down the percentage.
We really did not do this to step on toes, there was momentum but no one was stepping up to the plate. We are set up to do just this, so it made sense to put forth the offer.

Garth
Last edited by Pacific Pro on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:54 pm

i was of the evidently misguided understanding that you were the one who set this up THROUGH ppa for us. which made sense because it would be their contact in china, etc etc.... and maybe you were get a little taste for you trouble. but if i had known (and i guess i should have) that you were doing this yourself and that your idea was simply being stolen (scratch that) barrowed by garth, im sure that most of us would and should agree that we would/will be going with you. you really should have cleared this up in the other threads as soon as you noticed this happening and we would have backed you. thats just lame. so i say post that this is happening before too many people send in their money and see how many people will stick with you. total everything up and let us know. if you decide to let it go then i hope you try and do this with something else and you get the chance to see it through. oh and i think what most people are worried about is that you will run off with the money not getting damaged products.like syrupcore implied we wouldn't know where to start lining up with our baseball bats. mine?s aluminum?

and im in for a buck or more if you don't do this. you should get something out of this.

this is ridiculous im surprised your being so cool about it. and BTW im not trying to start any shit i just think it?s the stand up thing to do. i don?t even want to give him my money anymore.

let us know

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:08 pm

hi crashsick
thanks for your post...it's really appreciated.

also just like you to know that actually there is more of a chance for the mics to be destroyed than for me to run off with the money. i mean look at how many post i have. i plan on being a member here for a while. i like it too much. this is one of the only places i can come and get an immediate answer for any audio related problems. and also i'm very logic bound and running away with peoples money doesn't make any sense nor is it logical...if not for ethics simply because it would not be a chess move that i would ever make because the pros do not out weigh the cons. it's not hard to find me. and the money i would gain in any hypothetical scenario would not be enough for me to move out side of the states or even move to a different location.i plan on being where i am for at least a duration of 1 year and i will be in this state for probably at least 3 more years.
also the gratification i would have received for pulling off a legal group-buy would have given me more utility than stealing the lump sum i would have received from everyone.

also aside...

I had already thought all this through and i figured out how i could have collected money the most efficient and organized way. organization is what it's all about. having proper formats that everyone has to standardize to. like the first post i made had instructions that you had to standardize to. there was a format to the responses and the ojective was clear concise and organized. and i think if you have all of those things working, doing this deal would actually be easy... again as long as it was kept simple and very very organized.