Mic Preamp Question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
meblumen
steve albini likes it

Mic Preamp Question

Post by meblumen » Tue May 13, 2003 6:46 pm

I need 8 really cheap mic preamps (I'm on a budget and I already have a decent one for more intensive sessions). Hence I was looking at the SM Pro Audio PR-8 II 8 Channel Mic Preamp which retails for $299.99. I was wondering if anyone has used this product, or has any alternative recommendations that are similiarly priced. Thanks in advance.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Mic Preamp Question

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 13, 2003 7:23 pm

The Focusrite Octopre would be a solid contender at $799. You can get an expansion board for it to that allows for a digital lightpipe out. Pretty handy. I haven't heard of the SM, but in that price range, I'll bet it's noisy.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue May 13, 2003 8:29 pm

THe problem is I don't have $700 bucks to spend on some mic pres. I was hoping that worst case scenario the SM Pro would be comprable to some of the mic pres on lower end mixers like the ones built by Behringer and even the cheap mackies. Any other suggestions or recommendations.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue May 13, 2003 8:42 pm

I was looking at some of the items on musicians friend and I cam across the Alesis Studio 12R Rack Mixer/Microphone Pre-amp. I was wondering if anyone has used this or would consider this a viable alternative.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue May 13, 2003 9:01 pm

Let people know what mics yr usin'..

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue May 13, 2003 9:11 pm

For 8 pres under $300, you might be better off getting a Mackie 1202.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue May 13, 2003 9:29 pm

Thats kinda a difficult question to answer. I have a whole slew of mics a bunch of SM57s, 2 SM58, a couple different Oktava condensors, 1 RODE NT1s, 2 AKG C3000, 1 AKG C1000 and a couple other AKG mics, 1 Audio Technica AT-4033, A bunch of Sennheiser mics, 1 blueberry condensor, 1 Neuman KM184 and some other random cheapo mics. Consequently, I will probably use any or all of them at some point. I don't really see how that matters though. I have an FMR RNP and an avalon M5 which compliment my mics really well but I'm in the process of downsizing my rig and am no longer using my big 18 channel board. However, I still need to handle some larger sessions where I need some additional mic pre's and right now I don't have the money to spend on a couple RNPs and especially not another M5. Thats why I need something cheap that is decent, I'm not expecting it to be a M5 or RNP but as long as its no worse then the mic pres on a cheap behringer mixer than I'm ok with it.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue May 13, 2003 9:30 pm

1202 only has 4 pre's, no?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think any thing you can get for that price will be about the same..

that rack mixer might be the best one on your list..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue May 13, 2003 9:40 pm

i think the more info you provide the better people can answer your questions..but yea your probably right it does not matter..

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Tue May 13, 2003 11:10 pm

Use your console for now and save your pennies for a decent set of pre's.Two 4 channel Syteks would be your best bet.Bit out of your price range but they are really quite great pre's.You'll only regret buying something cheap later on.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

Drumbeast
pluggin' in mics

Post by Drumbeast » Tue May 13, 2003 11:28 pm

meblumen, Are you hooking up to an adat? Go to Alesis' website and read the 12R manual. I just did and found some cools stuff about hooking it up to an adat (anr any other recorder for that matter) via the intserts. It looks like it may be better that the SM-PR8.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Wed May 14, 2003 9:24 am

I would also recommend looking at an Allen & Heath MixWizard- They make a 16 channel stereo rack mount mixer, and each channel has a direct out, balanced. you can find 'em new <1000 and used on ebay for <800

Here's a list of recent auctions- try emailing the unsuccsessful sellers and seeing if they will sell cheap.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search ... etaEndSort

one of the benefits of having a mixer too is that if you need to pre mix a few mics onto one track, you could do so with the auxillary sends, and you could use the aux sends as a headphone mix.

my $0.02 Curt.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."