Wiring a speaker to be a mic?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Wiring a speaker to be a mic?

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu May 15, 2003 7:04 pm

I just picked up (free, even) and 18 inch Cervin-Vega speaker which was extracted from a sense-around setup from a movie theater...you know, from the 70's, used for movies like Earthquake, so you could feel that sub 40hz rumble. Anyway, I picked it up hoping to wire it so I could use it to "mic" bass rigs and kick drums. Right now it just has 2 leads coming off the lugs. What should I do to get this thing running into a board? Should I solder a female TS jack onto the leads? Which wire goes to Tip and which to Sleeve?

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Re: Wiring a speaker to be a mic?

Post by thunderboy » Thu May 15, 2003 7:10 pm

positive to tip, negative to sleeve. if it isn't labeled, get a 9v battery and connect it to the speaker. one lead to +, one to -. if the speaker pushes OUT, then the lead connected to + is the positive. If the speaker pulls IN, the lead connected to - is positive.

That's a big driver, so it'll take a lot of energy to set it in motion and it won't be terribly...detailed...in the upper range, but it might give you some good WOOOOMF on a kick drum.

Good Luck!

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri May 16, 2003 8:42 am

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

ciminosound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ciminosound » Sun May 18, 2003 6:06 pm

So I went to google and found http://www.cmh.net/catalog/Audio_CommercialPaging.html

Who'd a thunk ATT 8" paging speakers were available in the 45 ohm flavor? 45 ohms because it's close to some dynamics at 50 ohms . I never would have thought of looking for a 45ohm spkr. Just a side note JBL made a lot of speakers in the tube age that were 32 ohm. Might be interesting if you've got a good one that works to check it out. They had alnico magnets too......

[/url]