Acoustic guitar mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
DUC
buyin' a studio

Re: Acoustic guitar mics

Post by DUC » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:07 pm

I had the notion that condensers are better than ribbons for acoustic. Is there a reason?

I saw some Beyer suggestions. That's why I ask.
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:12 pm

For one thing, condensors are just more common than ribbons, so people know them better. For another thing, people oftentimes like their acoustic gtrs nice and bright, and ribbons aren't usually what you reach for in that case. If you want your acoustic gtrs a little smoother or darker, then that's a different story.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:19 pm

I think that all the cheap condenser mics out there are giving condensers a bad name. Cheap condensers always seem to be really frikkin bright! (?)

If I put a Neuman u67 in front of an acoustic guitar, it is certainly not because I am looking for "bright."

We are talking fine shades here, and I do like ribbons on acoustic sometimes, but it is more about the "fit" than the fashion itself.

For example, a solo acoustic: Go nuts with giant AC guitar mic choice "A".
But for the AC guitar that needs to sit in with oafy heavy guitar stuff, maybe pull out rock guitar choice "A"... know what I mean?

Ribbons are cool, and even the cheap ones sound really good. I believe every microphone has its place, and "fit", but some are certainly shape shifters where as some kinda suck for everything but talkback....

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:57 am

The Neumann KM-54 is my fave. If the guitar is a little "dead" sounding try a KM-56. Before I got the Neumanns I used an Ocktava MC-012 from the Soundroom. They're OK but not in the same league. Two other mics I would look into but don't have personal experience with are the Schoeps 221b and the Altec M-21 w/ 21d capsule.

Bill

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:32 am

sony C38B, full, warm and lusty sounding. like america's 'sister golden hair'.
i like 4047s a lot.
4038 if i want it to melt into the BG a little.
57 for that bowie 'hunky dory' thing.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:33 am

gyraf wrote: The best imho: Neumann KM84.
Word. My buddy lent me his KM184, and it sounds awesome on acoustic guitar. And banjo. Thick and solid with a great top end.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:31 pm

In general, I don't like the sound of 57's on an acoustic. Depends on the guitar, though. I'd love to look into Nuemanns, but they're out of my price range at the moment. But man, there are so many names out there. Got more reading to do.

Thanks everyone. The more suggestions, merrier.
I am wangtacular.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:46 pm

Most affordable until September 30, 2003 is the Oktava MK012 deal Guitar Center is having2 for $99. With any preamp you own, you won't hurt yourself with these.

A matched pair of the Earthworks TC40K mics would be a good buy at $1000 for the pair.

The best, most re-occurring acoustic guitar signal chain I've used is Neumann M7 tube mic, API312 preamp, Urei 1176, Pultec EQP1A straight to analog tape. You've heard it on many discs.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:25 am

I was gonna snag a pair of those Oktavas (I have an mk319, and for the price, I can't complain), but there aren't any guitar centers near me. Do you know if they sell them anywhere else, even if they aren't that cheap? And I've read about those Earthworks mics and they sound like they'd be right up my alley. They're on my list for when I'm not so poor. Same with Neumanns.
I am wangtacular.