Vox AC30 or Fender Twin...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
beezleborf
gettin' sounds

Re: Vox AC30 or Fender Twin...

Post by beezleborf » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:17 pm

I remember at the Vox convention they compared an old AC-30 to a new one in a blind test and the Vox freaks voted for the new one, but I always assume that kind of deal is rigged to sell more new units.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:28 pm

beezleborf wrote:New AC30 makes me think stiff, brittle, clunky, peircing .
But this is often true of new amps generally, until things break in. Of all mentioned thus far, I'll take the Deluxe. Hey, it's deluxe.

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:36 pm

beezleborf wrote:I remember at the Vox convention they compared an old AC-30 to a new one in a blind test and the Vox freaks voted for the new one, but I always assume that kind of deal is rigged to sell more new units.
That's the secret of the Pepsi Challenge, my friend! Prolly has to do with the tone, I bet the new ones naturally sound brighter or were simply set for more treble -- when played two near-identical sounds and asked which one they like better, 98% of people will pick the slightly brighter one of the two. That was the secret of the infamous Pepsi Challenge, same deal, give someone two sips of two drinks in a blind taste test and they will pick the sweeter one almost every time.

Love this thread!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:56 pm

coniferouspine wrote:
beezleborf wrote:I remember at the Vox convention they compared an old AC-30 to a new one in a blind test and the Vox freaks voted for the new one, but I always assume that kind of deal is rigged to sell more new units.
That's the secret of the Pepsi Challenge, my friend! Prolly has to do with the tone, I bet the new ones naturally sound brighter or were simply set for more treble -- when played two near-identical sounds and asked which one they like better, 98% of people will pick the slightly brighter one of the two. That was the secret of the infamous Pepsi Challenge, same deal, give someone two sips of two drinks in a blind taste test and they will pick the sweeter one almost every time.

Love this thread!
I think they mix a little Rum in the Pepsi in the Pepsi Challenge. The tester's eyes always light up like "woe! thats one's yummy!"
boobs are life's fountain

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:00 pm

Due to their wildly inconsistent manufacture, I'd not endorse the AC30's.

Something about a Fender Twin always sounds like alternative music to me. Totally usable.

But my dreamboat amp is a Matchless DC30.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:14 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote: But my dreamboat amp is a Matchless DC30.
oh baby, I love it when you talk dirty!.....ahem....yes, the early Matchless stuff is amazing.

One of the best sounding shows I've been to was SDRE flanked with by an AC30 on one side, a DC30 on the other, both pummled with Las Paul Customs. No fx in the chains whatsoever, except a Tubescreamer infront of the DC30.
boobs are life's fountain

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:19 pm

well, class A amps are relatively worthless if you need clean headroom of any kind while AB amps are similarly frustrating if you need to sear the face off the listener with your guitar tone. There are workarounds for both, but I suppose it all depends which universe you need to rule.

Dick Dale would have been pissed as shit if all he had was an ac30.

dave

Corin
gettin' sounds

Post by Corin » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:25 pm

A properly biased AC30 will rip peoples' faces off in a small club (in the most positive of ways, of course). There's something about the freqeuncy curve taht makes them stick out a rock and roll mix in a perfect way and you definitely get a lot out of those 30 watts. Our guitarist used to playa Les Paul with p 100s and a Bigbsy through an AC30 and I still hear that thing ringing in my head.

Now we use a Hiwatt which is a whole other kettle of fish. That thing will untie your shoes for you if you're not careful.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:55 pm

I would have to say both, a rite tastey twosome that, one either side of you, ya :twisted: baby please!

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:31 pm

coniferouspine wrote:Yeah, the Zodiac has the crazy push button tone controls, and some of them even had a blinking light on the front that indicates the tremelo speed! Such technology!
At the risk of driving the prices of these amps up out of reach....

Some of the features seem silly, but these amps sound amazing.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:04 pm

Rodgre wrote:Okay then.... For some reason, Fenders seem to be way more forgiving of pedals. Probably moreso than any other amp. Voxes and Matchless and other "Classic Class A" designs tend to be really finicky about pedals.
Roger
Right on. My AC30 hates most of my pedals - though I do love the amp. I don't know how The Edge gets so many great sounds from his AC30 and 10,000 pedals.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:37 am

I've had several Twins and the only one I really liked was an early blackface model. Even it was too loud to use in a medium sized club. I would never describe it as harsh (someone said, "screwdrivers to my ears"). It had Jensen gold label speakers in it, very sweet sounding.

I really prefer Vibrolus Reverbs. Incredible sounding amps, break-up nicely, perfect size for a small, or medium club (anything bigger and you can add it to the stage monitors) and records nicely as well.

I'd take my Vibrolux Reverb over an AC30 anyday.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:23 am

linus wrote:
I'd take my Vibrolux Reverb over an AC30 anyday.
While I love a Vibrolux I'd have to take an AC-30 instead.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:32 am

ott?kbre wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote: But my dreamboat amp is a Matchless DC30.
One of the best sounding shows I've been to was SDRE flanked with by an AC30 on one side, a DC30 on the other, both pummled with Las Paul Customs. No fx in the chains whatsoever, except a Tubescreamer infront of the DC30.
Never did care for a Les Paul into a DC30 (although a bi-amped '50s Tweed Bassman might suffice) and I'd never run a distortion pedal into an amp with that much built-in compression. The B-channels on these amps are absolutely amazing for gain and distortion. The combo design allows the speakers to vibrate both head and tubes to thicken the tone. Best advice for the pure Matchless sound is to use them with single-coil pick-up guitars, you guessed it- always!

Mark67
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark67 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:04 pm

I agree with the comment about Twins sounding like screwdrivers in the ears.

Rule of Thumb:
When in doubt about guitars, amps, microphones, pedals, etc.--always go for the one that looks the coolest.

This makes it much easier to convince yourself how good it sounds later.