Do y'all run outboard pre straight to recorder?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Re: Do y'all run outboard pre straight to recorder?

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:42 pm

Jeez....I run through compressors sometimes for sound....but never thought about using one just for the extra gain stage.....I love you guys...sob, sob.....
thanks,
m

swede
studio intern

Post by swede » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:43 am

If you patch the pre to your console i'll suggest that you plug it into the insert return because a lot of consoles use the same op amp for the mic and line input.
This way you're going straight to the fader.
Interviewer:"So Frank,you have long hair.Does that make you a woman?"
Frank Zappa:"You have a wooden leg.Does that make you a table?"

kwhatx
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kwhatx » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:01 am

I run preamp->compressor->recorder. I'm a big believer in using the shortest distance between point A & B.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:20 am

I
f you patch the pre to your console i'll suggest that you plug it into the insert return because a lot of consoles use the same op amp for the mic and line input.
Good point. I DO like having access to the line trim however - if I'm gonna go to a fader in the first place. But the insert return is certainly your most direct route to the fader. It is good to point out that MOST inserts are PRE EQ but also pre MONITOR FADER so you may need to FLIP, SWAP, CHOP or BOUNCE or whatever the fukk your console calls it to get to the tape send - you may also be able to SWITCH your insert betweeen tape send and tape return.

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:35 pm

chocolatechickenpotpie wrote:I
f you patch the pre to your console i'll suggest that you plug it into the insert return because a lot of consoles use the same op amp for the mic and line input.
Good point. I DO like having access to the line trim however - if I'm gonna go to a fader in the first place. But the insert return is certainly your most direct route to the fader. It is good to point out that MOST inserts are PRE EQ but also pre MONITOR FADER so you may need to FLIP, SWAP, CHOP or BOUNCE or whatever the fukk your console calls it to get to the tape send - you may also be able to SWITCH your insert betweeen tape send and tape return.

CC
PP
Also, depending on your console, there's a good chance that the insert points are unbalanced, so if you're running a balanced line, you'll lose 14dB going into the insert return.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC