I Don't think I'm even DREAMING of a Neumann U47 anymore.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Dot
pushin' record

Re: I Don't think I'm even DREAMING of a Neumann U47 anymore

Post by Dot » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:12 am

There's WAY too many good mics on the market now to spend a small fortune on some vintage mic anymore. Check out Wagner http://www.wagner-microphones.com/

Much of the value appreciation on vintage mics is because they have become collectable. Not because you can't buy a new mic that sounds just as good or better - and is also going to be reliable.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

kwhatx
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kwhatx » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:38 am

That's what bothers me with all the clone or reissue mics....they all sound brighter.
Not true of the Soundelux mics. But then again they don't claim to be reissues. Their E47 is BASED on the U47. And I've never heard one person describe them as "brighter".

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:20 am

i think sometimes there is something to the older gear like neumanns...like any instrument...sometimes they get it right and then lose what's up or just straight up change manufacturing methods...

the price thing is a big downside but it doesn't change the fact that they're some pretty one of a kind mics...

Mike

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:10 am

many of the mics that people pay a fortune for may in fact be worth that fortune be it for the sound they make or the clients they bring, but I think if you took todays crop of mic manufacturers, put six or seven of the best guys in a time machine and sent them back to 1950 (with enough plutonium to get back of course) I think that people today would be fiending after a few other good mics in addition to our standard classics. There is very little difference in my mind sonically between a neumann and a soundeulx- they sound different but are par quality and expectation. With others that fit the bill, it really seems to me that the primary reason for buying a vintage 47 would be to get clients, if you are concerned about nothing beyond the sound coming from the speakers you can get that with a few different mics these days that will leave enough dough in the bank for lunch.

dave

ggddcc
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ggddcc » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 pm

We have a pair of U47's-from 1959 and 1962. My boss got them really cheap many years ago (talking 30 years ago). The funny thing, one is "the good one", one is "the not so good one". Can you imagine having 2 $8000 mics, and one is a good one and one is a bad one? I always recommend getting a newer re-issue or a great knock-off. One of our engineers checked out the new Telefunken USA ones, and said it was killer-don't know if it's worth the price, though. The guys really believe that the older style with the transformer really beats out all the newer Neumann's that are transformerless. Both of our 47's have the nuvistor upgrade, because it's so hard to get the old VF14 tubes, the tubes are really expensive when you can find them. One of them had the capsule replaced, that cost us over $800!

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:37 pm

i agree wholeheartedly with you guys about the soundelux mics being great mics. But, they aren't cheap mics. I'm looking at my Sweetwater cat now....
E47 $3555, ELUX251 $4500, ifet7 $1890...the cheapest one is the U195fet at $1215. I realize this is less than a vintage neumann, but it's really not any less than a new neumann or any other current, higher end mic. I know there are exceptions and there are super expensive neumans, etc, but overall, these soundelux mics are out of the reach of most project studio guys.
later,
m

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:53 pm

chetatkinsdiet wrote:i agree wholeheartedly with you guys about the soundelux mics being great mics. But, they aren't cheap mics. I'm looking at my Sweetwater cat now....
E47 $3555, ELUX251 $4500, ifet7 $1890...the cheapest one is the U195fet at $1215. I realize this is less than a vintage neumann, but it's really not any less than a new neumann or any other current, higher end mic.
The problem is that the new Neumann mics are overpriced, and not on par with the Soundelux/Brauner/Blue mics IMO. If the U87ai was $1200, and the M149 was $2000, then that would be different.