Night Ranger vs. Triumph vs. Zebra vs. Journey vs. ...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Night Ranger vs. Triumph vs. Zebra vs. Journey vs. ...

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:05 pm

Please God - make it stop now.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:12 pm

Kelly Keagey...fuckin' A you nailed it! And yes, Neal Schon was the shit, particularly after he left the Santana idiom (idi-OT?). I hear that for the last few years he's been on the Craig Chaquico bandwagon where you get on a new-age label and do that kind of bland acoustic non-jazz thing? I guess when you've been kicking ass and snorting up big bags of life for that many years it's time to kick back and collect an easy patcheck.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:30 pm

actually greg rollie shared the lead vocals with steve perry in the early days on songs like "feeling that way" and "anytime". He actually has a really neat sounding voice. I like it better than steve perry's.

wow, I could remember my big brother's 4x4 with kc daylighters on top crystal clear now! good times indeed.

tenaciousjay
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tenaciousjay » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Caldo71 wrote:Holy shit, I can't believe I said Jeff Watson when I meant Brad Gillis...I really need to proof my posts more thoroughly...I feel like a fucking poseur!

I'm with ya though...he was the meat of the guitar player team all dissing aside. Not the only great musican in the band, though. I stand by what I said about the drummer earlier. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say his name was Kelly Something Irish?
Don't worry about it, no one around here will give you too much of a bad time for getting them mixed up. But I'm sorry, that Keagy guy sucked bad - "Sister Christian" is one of my all time least favorite songs - bad vocals, bad music, bad lyrics, bad solo, bad video. And he played on the side of the stage facing across so he could look over his left shoulder at the audience when he sang. How cheesy is that? Jack Blades is no Lemmy but he's at least got SOME rock and roll in him (but it's trying to get out! - Mojo Nixon reference added to try to make this thread a little cooler).

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:34 pm

tenaciousjay wrote:(And soundguy, you never saw "Woodstock"? Santana and a very young (16?) Neil Schon jamming out - one of the better performances on there IMO.)

man, Im embarrassed to admit that I have spent probably literally tens and tens of hours sitting in awe of mike shrieve during that soul sacrifice performance in the movie and I never knew Neil Schon was in the band...

shows you all how much I know.

dave

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:39 pm

Oh, Sherry by Steve Perry.

Worst. Guitar. Solo. Ever.

-mark

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:48 pm

rrrhhaaa, rrrhhaaa, rrrhhaaa....rrreeear, rrreeear.......rrreeear, rrreeear.....rrreeear, rrreeear!

That was my Oh Sherry guitar solo imitation. Like it? How about the spiky red 80's guitar that his guitar player rocks out with on the "Strung Out" video? That was bad, too. But now that I think of it, in the Oh Sherry video, that horrible aforementioned guitar solo was air-guitar-ed by a midget in tights with a lute. You just can't compete with that. Stonehenge...

Jesus...when I was fourteen I thought that shit had some appeal.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:08 pm

markpar wrote:Oh, Sherry by Steve Perry.

Worst. Guitar. Solo. Ever.

-mark

some berkley heads might argue that cinamon girl is the worst guitar solo ever. I think its sorta brilliant, but having gone to school in boston, every few months you'd be waiting on line for the bathroom at some party and have to hear the one note solo debate once again...

dave

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:24 pm

soundguy wrote: man, Im embarrassed to admit that I have spent probably literally tens and tens of hours sitting in awe of mike shrieve during that soul sacrifice performance in the movie and I never knew Neil Schon was in the band...

shows you all how much I know.

dave
Bonus points if you've ever heard the Hagar/Schon/Aronson/Shrieve album, HSAS' "Through the Fire."

And Gregg Rolie had a neat voice, but it always sort of bugged me that Rolie was always at least double-tracked on those records, with Perry single-tracked. It really made the weakness of his voice stand out.

My lord, I know way too much about these bands...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/