Q @ mic pres???? RFT/ (Neumann) MV 810/2

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
nestle
re-cappin' neve

Q @ mic pres???? RFT/ (Neumann) MV 810/2

Post by nestle » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:22 pm

I recently bought a pair of RFT/ (Neumann) MV 810/2 Discrete Mic Preamps on ebay, maybe you've seen them around?. Can anybody tell me more about what the RFT history is and its connection to Neumann?
Any technical or historical information about these Mic Pres would be very helpful and interesting to me. I understand that they are commie era german mic pres.
Also what does class A discreet mean?
is 60 db good?

The copy read-

The company/engineers who built these preamps are the same responsible for the famous "RFT -BOTTLE " Tube microphone. This modules are class A discrete. Due to its age, it is being sold as-is, but it is in very good cosmetic and working condition. Complete Schematics included

Built in the early 1970's, RFT /Neumann created some of the greatest discrete preamps, eq's and compressors.

These vintage modules are highly sought after by recording engineers for their clean and punchy tone.. These units are unmodified and have a gain of about 60 db.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Q @ mic pres???? RFT/ (Neumann) MV 810/2

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:49 pm

I have the RFT 7151 bottle mic. It is INSANELY well made. It is like a solid aluminum ingot with wire wound transistors... Anyway. These are awesome mic pre's.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Q @ mic pres???? RFT/ (Neumann) MV 810/2

Post by soundguy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:11 am

do a search for class a. lots of reading on that one. discrete means that there are no chips in the circuit, the transistors are all discrete, not combined all together into one chip. The opamps are made of individual components not combined together on one chip. It also means that people will pay more for your thing on ebay regardless of wether it sounds good or not, classadiscretethirharmonicdistortionvintagegearasisnoreturns.

60dB of gain is good if it sounds good.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.