protools no digi

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ZZalgern0n
alignin' 24-trk

protools no digi

Post by ZZalgern0n » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:30 pm

i see some cheaper protools audio interfaces 4in/4out things around - $25-100
is it possible to get rid of my digi and use external converters & preamps and use these cheaper boxes to keep runnin thru ptle?

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Re: protools no digi

Post by Recording Engineer » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:11 pm

Wishful thinking... I've been wishing for Pro Tools to allow me to use my own choice of hardware for WAY too long now... I'd MUCH rather pay $1200 for THAT plus the cost of my hardware choice than $1200 for their 002 Rack; simply so I can have more I/O options at a somewhat reasonable price!!!

So what's the minimum I have to pay to get an 8-16 A/D and 24 D/A Pro Tools system? It's not even somewhat close to reasonable! When are they going to come-out with a system where I could hook something like 3 of their 002 Racks (but a version without any preamps of any extra crap like that)?!

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:29 pm

Yeah I'm curious too, I have a 822 can I use the new digi 002 as a digital front end for it getting the 24 bit word length?

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:14 pm

supposedly you can use alternate hardware with protools... i've never tried it, but m-audio told me that they "have heard of people using the delta 1010 with pro tools and not having any sort of problems" but that they could not endorse, support or guarantee such a setup.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

ZZalgern0n
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ZZalgern0n » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:54 am

i mean these are dedicated units that say PROTOOLS on them just older looking units and stuff and cheap. i would like to get some better a/d and just go direct digital to these into ptle

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:44 am

I could use something like that too... Still nothing possible as far as I'm aware; at least nothing confirmed as of yet. Plus, not to mention, the older Pro Tools hardware probably isn't even recognized by Pro Tools LE.

I suppose you could use an 001 or 002 or 002 Rack strictly for its ADAT I/O and buy 8-ch. converters with an ADAT I/O of your choice... Still limited to 8 channels though. Might as well use their onboard converters at that point.

I could use something like that with my Alesis HD24 by doing the "3-pass thing", but not really worth all the extra hassle.

Much easier just doing the firewire harddrive docking station thing with the HD24 and computer. Of course, that means you must buy the Pro Tools hardware and have it hooked-up to your computer system, only to have it just sit there and NEVER ger used; all so you can use Pro Tools software. What a waste though. But it's their game. You have to pay if you want to play. And you MUST play to make ANY money in this game. And THAT outright SUCKS!

Needless to say, I haven't really made any money in this game thus far, because I'm not playing the Pro Tools game as of yet. To think I just need to spend a couple grand so that I can get the business the high schooler down the street gets because of his Pro Tools 002 system.

All I know is that the people who contact me don't care of the quality that comes out of my studio. They're only interested to know if I'm running Pro Tools, am located in a big room commercial facility, and what regionally known indie albums I've recorded.

Oooppps... Three strikes... I'm out....

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:54 am

You can buy a mix plus farm card (tdm) and then use Pro tools software and use Apogee units via the digidesign card that apogee has come out with...You totally dont even need any digi hardware if you go that route...I'm really looking into that for the future because I'm w/ you...I'd rather not wasted money on digi hardware w/ crappy mic pre's and crappy a/d conversion...Just give me 24 channels of adat lightpipe and a couple of spdif's and I'll take care of the a/d conversion w/ better converters and mic pres....

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:57 am

i know that the HD systems have an input on the back that allows you to use previous PT hardware.
digidesign website wrote:An Expansion Port and a Legacy Peripheral Port allow you to incorporate both additional HD and MIX interfaces into your configuration, making expansion a breeze while simultaneously validating your previous and future investment in Pro Tools gear. An additional 16 channels of I/O can be added via each of these ports; of those 32 possible channels, 16 can be accessed simultaneously

ZZalgern0n
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ZZalgern0n » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:58 pm

well i am on super tight budget and running a digi001 but want to sell and buy better a/d w/ that money
i have a 6176 so no use for the bs protools pres

if anyone figures this out please let me know you will make the audio world a better place and ill mail you a pack of fundip

jpschust
takin' a dinner break

Post by jpschust » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:16 pm

or you can keep running your digi 001 and look for a used apogee ad1k or ad500e, still within the range of the 001 and not expensive at all

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:28 pm

soundfinesse wrote:Just give me 24 channels of adat lightpipe and a couple of spdif's and I'll take care of the a/d conversion w/ better converters and mic pres....
Think they'll ever listen? I've been wishing for that EXACTLY for too many years already...