condenser mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
GeorgeCookinham
audio school

condenser mics

Post by GeorgeCookinham » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:03 pm

Hello - This is probably not a "new topic" for most of you, and I apologize for that. I want to get a condenser mic for lead vocals and nylon string guitar. The vocals are the most important thing. My budget is about $300. Any suggestions/recommendations? Any places where I can read reviews?Also, from the pictures I see, it looks like some kind of device to hook the condenser mics to the mic stand. What is that called? Where do you get it? Any advise/information will be very much appreciated. Thank you. George

junokane
pushin' record

Re: condenser mics

Post by junokane » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:22 pm

Hi George

Welcome

The best first rule to learn early on this board, in my opinion, is "Use the Search Function Often and Well". Do a search for condensers; classical guitar; anything like that you can think of. I'm sure there have been tons of good threads and posts on the topic.

Also, on the General Recording page at the top, there are "Stickies", posts that stay at the top of page 1. One is called The Best of the TO Board, or something like that. In there, there are lots of oft-talked-about topics and a load of good info.

The thing that holds the condenser on the stand is called a shock-mount, unless I read you wrong.

I'm not much of a gearhead, I usually just read the gear-type posts because I need to learn. So I won't recommend a mic for you. I will say that I own a Studio Projects C1, which I like, but I haven't tried recording a classical guitar with it, and I haven't personally tried out many other condenser mics.

Cheers
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:48 pm

A good deal for your first condenser could me the MXL pro pac. It comes with a Large Diaphram condenser and a small diaphram condenser, I foget the modle numbers, but suposidly they sound pretty good. Oh yeah and its $150 on musiciansfriend.com...

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:23 pm

For a total budget of $300 I would probably get a Studio Projects C1 - which is a cardioid large diaphragm condenser that sounds pretty nice on a fairly large range voices (street price $200) & an Oktava MC012 - which is a small diaphragm condenser that sounds pretty nice on things like acoustic guitar, drum overheads, percussion, etc. This way you get a little versatility out of your baby mic closet - and both mics will give a better sound to my ear than the MXL options that were also posted.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:31 pm

IMHO I would think two good contenders for condenser mics new for 300$ are the shure brothers ksm27 and the audio technica 4040..unless you want to go used..I do like the point to buy a couple of mics for different flavours though mics in this price range are not the best quality..I might opt to save for something in the 1000-3000$ range if I could afford to..

every voice is different and different mics will flatter or do the voice an injustice or something inbetweenish..you must try all your options to find "the one"..acoustic guitars are the same thing..typically small diaphram condensers are used on acoustic guitars and large diaphrams are used on vocals..but there are no rules..

you should let people know the kind of sound/style your going for..I think that would help people help you out here..what is recording medium? etc?

SecondSon
pushin' record

Post by SecondSon » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:46 pm

SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote:IMHO I would think two good contenders for condenser mics new for 300$ are the shure brothers ksm27 and the audio technica 4040..
My first condenser was an Audio Technica 3035, the one below the 4040 that is only about 200. I would have to say I was very pleased with it and still am.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:54 pm

My first LDC was a NT1. It blew. It's goin up on diseaseBay pronto and I'm getting either a 421 or a SM7. Yep - I'm of the mind that a killer dynamic will serve me better.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Schwilly
studio intern

Post by Schwilly » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:35 am

GeorgeCookinham wrote:Hello - This is probably not a "new topic" for most of you, and I apologize for that. I want to get a condenser mic for lead vocals and nylon string guitar. The vocals are the most important thing. My budget is about $300. Any suggestions/recommendations? Any places where I can read reviews?Also, from the pictures I see, it looks like some kind of device to hook the condenser mics to the mic stand. What is that called? Where do you get it? Any advise/information will be very much appreciated. Thank you. George
why? why do you want a condenser? I'm just curious as to the thought process behind this.
stealth master schwilly

GeorgeCookinham
audio school

Post by GeorgeCookinham » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:33 pm

Hello - First, I want to thank everyone for their comments, suggestions, and information. Second, I take note of the good advice on using the "search function" and "stichies". Third, the thinking process, such as it is, behind getting a condenser is that I have read that condenser mics are supposed to make singing and accoustic guitars sound better. All I have now is a SM-58 and a SM-57 and I thought I'd try something else. However, after reading more I can see that my $300 is probably unrealistic. Again, I thank everyone for taking the time to help me out. George Cookinham

trash180
takin' a dinner break

Post by trash180 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:17 pm

Hey,
You can get an Audio Technica 4033 for $200-300 used. Many would agree it sounds great on many sources, and especially good for acoustic guitars.
Nylon classical? Probably sounds good on that too.

The other AT's would be worth looking at too I'd imagine, but I have limited experience with them.
J.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:22 pm

the audio-Technica mics are your best bet. the 4040. If you can afford it get a 4047, this is my go to mic. I have many more expensive mics in my cabinet, and hands down this mic is the winner for EVERYTHING. I really can't say enough about this model, its really the best deal going- its about $499 street

jpschust
takin' a dinner break

Post by jpschust » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:48 pm

if you are paying over 300 new for a 4040 you are getting ripped off.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:01 pm

I SAID 4047 chum (if you can afford it)

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:46 am

Research your mics and look for deals. For $300, I got the AT 4033 and 2 Oktava MC012's. The deals are out there, just be patient, look for sales, use eBay safely...

My personal suggestion would be the aforementioned microphones, an LDC and two SDC's--for your particular recording situation, this gives you really nice options for $300--( btw, a SM57 is always a safe purchase @under $100). You could use the 4033 for both your guitar and vocals tracked seperately OR track live with the 4033 on your voice and the Oktava's stereo mic'd on the guitar. Or a mix of anything possible--it's all up to you!

Have fun and good luck.