Tascam Nerds Unite!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
fear of texas
gettin' sounds

Tascam Nerds Unite!

Post by fear of texas » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:12 pm

so here's the dilly-o:

i have me a Tascam 38. it rules. i <heart> my Tascam 38. Tascam 38=rock 'n' roll.

OK?

anyhoo, i figured i'd buy my beloved 38 a little brother, namely the Tascam 32. keep it in the family type a deal. that, and i couldnt afford this fancy Otari mixdown deck my friend has been trying to pimp me for a year now. plus, i think i got a pretty good deal on this 32 ($100.01 plus 25 discos for shipping/handling off the very very evil eBay.com). here's a pic of my new little monster:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:BN:US:1

ok, now that you have that image in yo' skull, i have a question. does that motherfuck look all discombobulated, or are the reel hub/posts/whatever-you-call-the-dealies-that-you-mount-the-reels-on supposed to look like that? or is that thing ready for 7" reels, but if i wanna load up a 10" reel, i gotta buy them fancy NAB hub adapter things (or whatever they are called, too)? yeahyeahyeah, i shoulda asked the seller before i bid on it, but eBay and not-your-prescription pills arent a good match. i'm still glad i got the thing. my 38 has the hubs that run 10" reels, but this looks all different. help a brotha out as he enters the world of buying his very first reel mixdown deck.

thankyouverymuch.

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Re: Tascam Nerds Unite!

Post by gravy boat » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:36 am

Chris I think it takes 7" reels, but I'm not sure. How are things in Tacoma? Superfly is gearing up for the the annual cluster fuck that is SXSW.
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.

blappo
ass engineer

Post by blappo » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:54 am

chris- the 32 takes 10" or 7" reels. what you see in the pic are the adaptors for the 10" reels. assuming the heads are ok, $100 is a great deal. i paid $275 plus shipping for mine and then had to do all sorts of work on it. good luck.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:56 am

YESYES YES-
I have a 38 and recently all of my clients have been asking to use it, its had a real resurgence, to think I almost sold it!!-
I picked up a BR-20 for $200 too, man thats the mix down deck you want. the last state of the art tascam 1/4 in....all servo controled and shit-
200!!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:47 am

fear of texas wrote:"..or is that thing ready for 7" reels, but if i wanna load up a 10" reel, i gotta buy them fancy NAB hub adapter things (or whatever they are called, too)?.."
hard to tell in the blurry photo if it's broke or not, but there's a 10" adaptor on the right. You'd need one (or 2) more to use the deck with 10" reels. But you can use the deck with 7" reels as is. Choose reel size=small and gogogo.. Your 38 adaptors will not work because they are set to accept 1/2" reels.
nestle wrote:"..I picked up a BR-20 for $200 too,.."
Great deal! I have the 48 8-track, been looking for IT's lil'brother 42, or the br-20...

Tom

Cephallus
gettin' sounds

Post by Cephallus » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:54 am

NAB hubs show up on ePay all the time...just keep trolling for them until you get a deal you can live with...

C