Tapcos are nice! { was: monitor question! Decent, small...}

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
spiral
re-cappin' neve

Tapcos are nice! { was: monitor question! Decent, small...}

Post by spiral » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:47 pm

I'm actually going to buy some monitors. I normally use headphones and my stereo to mix things (i've done it for 10 years this way) but i want some little powered monitors (i don't have much space). I want them to be fairly decent but not crazy expensive. I also don't have the time or desire to buy and return 10 sets of monitors so i basically want you to pick one for me, or at least eliminate a few. I'll get used to whatever eventually, and just don't want to buy something that is total crap. Or tell me that they are all total crap in this range.

So far, based on reviews on the web, i've arrived at these for price, supposed performance and size:

Fostex PM1
Alesis M1 MKII
Event TR5
KRK v4

The KRK's are pretty nice. I've heard them. I've heard Event 20/20's and thought they were gross so i don't know if Events all have a similar sound. Have you heard any of these? Who is loving and using any of these?

Thanks! Flame me not.
Last edited by spiral on Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsw
steve albini likes it

Re: Oh yes: monitor question! Decent, smallish, actives?

Post by tsw » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:37 am

I'll play. I own the Fostex PM1's, and they're good. The Sound on Sound review on them is right on, though: they are almost too tight sounding. I've had problems with mixes done on those monitors not translating well, but I don't think that's the fault of the monitors. They don't deliever crazy bass--something to keep in mind. The Alesis models I owned for a while, and I always had great mixes with those things. I think it was more because of the room I was in at the time, but who knows.

This probably doesn't help much. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd recommend either the Alesis or the Fostex. It helps that I got my Fostex used for $99!

andy

acidwashed
ass engineer

Post by acidwashed » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:13 am

i used to mix on headphones and on my stereo as well. after listening to about everything you listed, i went with the the event tr8. they cost me a little more but after you get used to them, the mixes are fairly accurate through different systems. they also make mixing the bass drum & bass guitar a breeze. i never use my home stereo speakers anymore...

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:56 am

Thanks. Yeah, sound on sound is actually where i found the most reasonable reviews. I've agreed with past reviews of things i own now. Keep the comments coming. I appreciate them!

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:02 am

Those event Trn5's are the worst. I would stay away from those at all costs. They are cheap, but they really really not accurate. I know becuase I thats what I have.

me
audio school

Post by me » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:57 am

I love my M1MK2s. That would be my recommendation. My first mixes were a little bass heavy until I RTFM and noticed I had them too close to the wall. I stuffed a rag in each of the acoustic holes and now I get the best translation I have ever had. I love them.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:14 am

I've got a pair of Yorkville YSM1's, the passive kind. They have powered ones too. I really like them. They're not too anything, which is good. Pretty good representation of the whole frequency spectrum. I find it's pretty easy to make mixes that translate well.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:19 am

When I worked at monolithic pro audio store, I spent hours, days, months listening to different monitors and would never reccomend the Alesis or Fostex. They sounded very woofy and loose to my ears. When it came time for me to pick up a pair of monitors, I got the M-Audio BX-5s. I totally dig 'em and think I get pretty good translation of my mixes out of 'em. The smaller events I liked at the time too.

By the way, I've seen used 20/20 passives plus amps for around the same price, 300 or so. That would be an even better deal IMO

Rock it, bro,

Jayro

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:24 am

I was originally looking at the BX5 for size and price, but they pretty much got poor reviews except for yours. That was the one i decided on before i started reading review. The passive monitor thing i dont want to do because of space and simplicity.

Can you tell me what you liked about the BX5 and how the Alesis didn't translate to the real world very well?

Thanks.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:59 am

not cheep, but the Genelecs are my FAVE's...save your money

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:03 am

nestle wrote:not cheep, but the Genelecs are my FAVE's...save your money
Where do you live? I'm gonna come and TP your house.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:09 am

If you can find a pair of minimus 7's on ebay, they're cheap, small and excellent. You'll find great reviews of them if you google, i'm sure.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:22 am

Like the radioshack speakers? Really? How interesting.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:27 am

I by no means consider myself to have golden ears, or even to know what the eff i'm talking about, but I just happened to like the BX-5 compared to anything else in my price range. I spent plenty of time comparing, and that's what I came up with. Adjectives like "fairly clear" "pretty tight bass" and "sexy blue lights" pop in my head.
I've used the Alesis in other places and just wanted to puke on them. Adjectives like "Flubbery" "Wookie-like" and "sexy blue lights" pop in my head.

One pair I forgot earlier I would definitely get over any of these if It is in anyway possible to shell out the extra dough: Yamaha MSP-5. Really great monitors IMHO.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:52 am

spiral wrote:Like the radioshack speakers? Really? How interesting.
Yes, radio shack used to sell them, but they've been discontinued. Engineers and producers have been mixing on them for a while.....