Clearchannel drops Stern

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
i am monster face
buyin' gear

Re: Clearchannel drops Stern

Post by i am monster face » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:03 am

Please don't advocate public radio being shut down. Some of us listen to (and need our airplay on) college radio stations, which because of the FCC and the poorly worded Digital Millenium Copyright Act has been shutting down college stations web streams. College radio is some of the best music around, and I doubt most colleges will have the access to advanced methods of broadcasting.
Ian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.3KRNU, Lincoln

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:07 am

Sorry, i know nobody was advocating shutting down radio. I was more or less speaking in response to the satellite radio trend and the hope that satellite will put public held airwaves out of buisness. I hope this never happens because the the overwhelming few companies that will control satellite will tell us what to listen to ad naseum. I realized my last post was not clear, so I just had to clarify it a bit.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:56 pm

was more or less speaking in response to the satellite radio trend and the hope that satellite will put public held airwaves out of buisness
Are you referring to public broadcasting or public airwaves? The only danger faced by public broadcasting is further budget cuts. Fortunately, the listening public has taken up the mantle and NPR and PBS and all the affiliates are still able to broadcast. I know they have had to scale back much of their programming, but at least they have enjoyed increased individual donations since the '94 cuts. As far as public airwaves are concerned, eventually they will be obsolete and no one will care any more. That's where it will be interesting to watch the fallout from satellite broadcasters - no pun intended.

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:00 pm

the other scenario is that sat gets really interesting for like 5 years, proves itself, gets bought up and then the big compaines dump their FM holdings once all new cars are fitted stock with sat radios. then we'll get radio back.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:15 pm

then we'll get radio back.
Sure if you can find a receiver that will pick up an analog signal! You might have better luck finding a 2" EditAll!

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

mikesmodern
pluggin' in mics

Post by mikesmodern » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:27 pm

I grew up during the Nixon/Agnew nonsense, and this is the exact same thing. Even run by the same people trying to resurrect Nixons' shitty Nazi ghost. Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc. were right there. Enemies lists, censorship, the stupid ass silent majority of my parents generation, it's all here now. If Nixon hadn't been stupid enough to tape all his conversations in the Oval office, he may not have been caught. So we're in deep shit, because Bush hasn't been caught doing anything impeachable yet. Had Nixon been voted in for the famous "4 more years" chanted incessantly back then, we would have had... well, what you're probably going to get for the next 5.

KingOlaf
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KingOlaf » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:42 pm

Yawn.
You're just what I needed

mikesmodern
pluggin' in mics

Post by mikesmodern » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:48 pm

Yawn yerself. Half asleep maybe a good way to spend a 4 year repeat of the little Cub Scout.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:52 pm

music boys.

no fucking politics here...

clamp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clamp » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:20 pm

For my quick two cents.

I have a freind who works for a morning show for Clearchannel.
I personally can't stand any morning show, I define them all as people laughing at themselves with set-up or fake guests who generally attempt to offend people but usually end up simply boring.
Stern's getting fired I would guess is based more on a way of terminating his contract without paying damages. Stern got dropped in several markets and consquentially was worth less money.
I just recently watched two radio DJ/Wannabe shock-jocks get dumped (also owned by CC) in my local market. My friend who works in the same offices talked and he explained it simple: when they were gaining points their bosses would take their crap. However, when you start mouthing off on the air and your points slip...you can go suck it for five $ in an alley.
P.S. I would like to compliment everyone who responded to this post. Everyone has been generally diplomatic and intelligent with their words. I hope more of the world is like you guys.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:39 am

no fucking politics here...
You don't think this effects ehat WE do? Censorship is completely ON TOPIC here!

CC
PP
-Hunter S. Thompson

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:21 am

mikesmodern wrote:So we're in deep shit, because Bush hasn't been caught doing anything impeachable yet. Had Nixon been voted in for the famous "4 more years" chanted incessantly back then, we would have had... well, what you're probably going to get for the next 5.
Not to worry, we're still on track for a complete Nixon parallel. Nixon WAS re-elected in 1972, by a huge margin. What got him in trouble was the illegal aspects of his 1972 reelection campaign, which started coming out in 1973.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:24 am

P.S. I would like to compliment everyone who responded to this post. Everyone has been generally diplomatic and intelligent with their words. I hope more of the world is like you guys.
:hearts:

CC
PP
-Hunter S. Thompson

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:05 pm

i hear you eric, i just don't dig it when the talk of music turns to politics. censorship in any form is fucked. but when we get into the political end of things on this board, let's face it, we are all (for the most part) liberal artist types who share similar views. i like my political discussions to include all viewpoints, dig?

stern is drivel as far as i'm concerned, but he absolutely has a right to do his thing.

i hope dave is right about the sat radio format. this could be fun...

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:54 pm

dwelle wrote:i hear you eric, i just don't dig it when the talk of music turns to politics.
Unfortunately, the two are irreversibly intertwined. What THEY do can have a dramatic effect on what WE do!
dwelle wrote:censorship in any form is fucked.
Which is why it's even more important that we DO discuss this stuff! The price of freedom being eternal vigilance and all, right?
dwelle wrote:but when we get into the political end of things on this board, let's face it, we are all (for the most part) liberal artist types who share similar views.
Speak for yourself brother... I'm a crypto-fascist, right bobby??? :lol:
dwelle wrote:i like my political discussions to include all viewpoints, dig?
Yeah, that's a good idea. Who's viewpoint is not being heard here?
dwelle wrote:stern is drivel as far as i'm concerned, but he absolutely has a right to do his thing.
I never doubted you for a moment!

CC
PP

i hope dave is right about the sat radio format. this could be fun...[/quote]
-Hunter S. Thompson