Audix D6 (as well as other D series mics)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
mfedderman
pushin' record

Re: Audix D6 (as well as other D series mics)

Post by mfedderman » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:53 am

I just did a "Drum Micing 101" clinic for Audix @ a Guitar Center. The hooked me up with their "Elite" drum mic kit and their new "i5" mic. The mic kit included a D1, two D2s, a D4, a D6, two SCX Ones and a SCX One with a hyper cardiod capsule. Cool kit!
The Audix told me that the D6 is design for live applications moreso than studio apps. It was design so that wherever you put the mic inside the kick drum, you'll get low end and click. It is hyped @ 4k.
IMHO, the D1 is blah. D2s on toms were great, D4 in the kick was GREAT (just need to add a little @ 75hz), the SCX Ones were AMAzING as overheads! Seriously. You could beat the HELL out of the cymbols and the overhead tracks never got harsh at all! I used Audix's new "i5" mic on the snare. Holy crap. Blows the SM57 out of the water! Seriously! I was a huge 57 fan (actually a beta 57 fan), but the i5 has converted me!
Guys, check that mic out if you can. Cool mic! I'll upload some drum samples up this afternoon and post link here. These samples are NO eq, NO compression. Just the mics recorded into a Pro-Tools Digi001 rig (with the overheads going through the 001 preamps!)

-Matt
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:47 pm

Alrighty, heres the link:

http://www.phasemedia.com/drum_samples/

Like a I said, no eq, no compression, no processing of any kind. No fancy preamps either. In fact, the overheads were recorded using the Pro-Tools DIGI001 preamps. Take a listen. Raw Tracks.

-Matt
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:45 am

I love the D2 on toms, although I am not a D1 fan at all. I alternate between the D2s and the Sennheiser 421s, depending on the kit and style.

I also picked up a D6 about a year ago, and use it quite a bit on rock drums, but it does need some help with a second mic. Lately, I have been putting an old AKG D12e outside the hole, but have used 421s and LDCs as well.

I have also tried the D6 on low de-tuned heavy metal guitars with some success, but again, when combined with something else like a 57, a 421, or even an MD441 which has a bit more brightness to it.

The D2 is truly my favorite Audix mic, and it gets a fair amount of use.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:01 am

I have a D6 for the kick drum, and while it beat out my ATM 25, which is the only other "low friendly" mic I have, I'd way rather have a D112. Or even an M88.