stuff that seems like a blatant rip off

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Re: stuff that seems like a blatant rip off

Post by penrithmatt » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:18 am

someone mentioned that Beck album seachange....yeah,it rips off Nick Drake,but there is also another song that is a carbon copy of Serge Gainsbourgs Histoire de Melody Nelson.
Elastica had to pay both The Stranglers and Wire for "inspiring" some of their songs.
Oasis seem to have made a career out of doing this.
cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:20 am

Oh wow. "Paper Tiger". I didn't even realize it. Too bad, I like that song. Except I don't think Serge Gainsbourg's has a vocal melody, if that makes any difference.

sonicanger
ass engineer

Post by sonicanger » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:28 am

One that gets me all the time is the first verse of U2's "walk on" compared to the Pixies "here comes your man" . Every time I hear it, it kind of sets me on edge, even though i love both bands.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:32 am

The opening guitar line of "Here Comes Your Man" always kind of reminded me of Bob Marley's "Stir It Up."

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:57 am

Let's not forget that most blatant of chart-topping ripoffs, Godsmack. I mean, jeez, guys. It's amazing how you can make a career out of musical necrophilia.

Everyone's guilty of ripping stuff off, intentionally or otherwise, from their influences. A riff here, a drumbeat there... But it's a whole other story if you're copping another band's sound wholesale. That sucks.

But, you know, in any style of art there's the innovators and the followers. And usually the followers are the ones that make all the money, because they're not risking anything.

|<|>|

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:10 am

rodgre wrote:And speaking of Iggy.... Lust For Life's drum part is the same as Katrina and the Waves' "Walking on Sunshine" check it out.
Ummm... except you've got it backwards broza! Lust was '77!

SB
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:17 am

I'm going to strorngly guess that I'm the only Erasure fan on the messageboard.

The synth solo on "Love to Hate You" IS the horn solo on Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive". I love musical quoting. Also, on Apoptygma Berzerk's (techno-ey) cover of "Fade To Black" by Metallica, they quote the piano line from U2's New Year's Day. The funny thing is that I believe that Apop released that song before the whole Napster debacle.

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:33 am

The one that's really annoying to me is Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. I REALLY HATE this band.

Listen to early Jesus & Mary Chain and the self-titled Love & Rockets album and tell me this band has one ounce of creativity or originality.

Not only musically, but even lyrically (see constant motorcycle references).

I leafed through the liner notes of their first album out of curiosity and there are 23 (!) pictures of the band inside, always in their shades and black lether jackets. jeez, guys try to make your image a little more obvious :evil:

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:34 am

phalex wrote:I still don't understand why it is said that the strokes rip-off the velvet undergound, I don't think they sound alike in the least. i guess the both have a guitar playing one chord the whole song, but other than that they don't sound similiar. I always thought the strokes sounded like the Rolling Stones.
Forgive me if someone else already beat me, or beat me to saying this, but the Strokes have this one song on the first record that seem built right around the "bah bah bah bah" descending vocal pattern on the VU's "I found a reason", except they (strokes) play it with a guitar. That's what instantly came to mind when I heard it anyway.
beware bee wear

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:35 am

apropos of nothing wrote:I'm going to strorngly guess that I'm the only Erasure fan on the messageboard.
nope.

you wrong there. they fucking rock HARD. great for parties to piss off hipsters... ummm.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:38 am

phalex wrote:Rock music is certainly derivative, but please don't touch Lust For Life, that song is damn near perfect.
The funny thing about that song, is that some of the words are copped from Burroughs' "Soft Machine". All that stuff about "Johnny yen" and his "sex machine", it's all there on the same page. I'll find the page number.
beware bee wear

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:45 am

wes9 wrote:I leafed through the liner notes of their first album out of curiosity and there are 23 (!) pictures of the band inside, always in their shades and black lether jackets. jeez, guys try to make your image a little more obvious
OK, I'll sling a little shit here, the BRMC club's claim to fame, the only reason they exist for the masses today, is because the one kid is Michael Bean's (Remember The Call "And the Walls Came Down"?) son.. That guy has done it all for them, as far as I can tell.

My friend went up to Richmond CA to try out for this band back in '95, when they were more Ride meets Lemonheads, no leather jackets then, no Jesus&MaryChain either, so yes, they're one of those genre-hopping, keep spinning the image wheel until you click on something, totally contrived and utterly worthless bands.

And they suck.
beware bee wear

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:45 am

black mariah wrote:No, you know what's REALLY fuckin' annoying? Me and the Goo Goo Dolls.
No, you are much less annoying than the Goo Goo Dolls.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:48 am

dwlb wrote:
black mariah wrote:No, you know what's REALLY fuckin' annoying? Me and the Goo Goo Dolls.
No, you are much less annoying than the Goo Goo Dolls.
:lol:

True that, and I'm from Buffalo, tho their very first record is alot of fun.

But where would the Goos be without the Replacements and Husker Du??
beware bee wear

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:59 am

joeysimms wrote:
phalex wrote:Rock music is certainly derivative, but please don't touch Lust For Life, that song is damn near perfect.
The funny thing about that song, is that some of the words are copped from Burroughs' "Soft Machine". All that stuff about "Johnny yen" and his "sex machine", it's all there on the same page. I'll find the page number.
Okay Okay, even Lust for Life is derivative, but the percussion and bass is at least perfect.
Werd.