Sorry...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Nathan Eldred
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Sorry...

Post by Nathan Eldred » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:59 am

patternagainstuser wrote:
and then these "demos" get distributed to "teenagers" who listen to them and feel "emotions" so deep and powerful that it shapes the way they think for the rest of their lives. meanwhile that major label piece of shit gathers dust as the next big thing hits the air. my favorite songs are by a local band who recorded them in their basement on a truly shitty roland digital 8-track.

these format wars are moot.

for the record, i record on digital and analog (mediocre digital adat xt-20's and truly shitty 1/4" 8-track) and i like them both in their own way (it doesn't hurt that i run through an old soundcraft mixer). i think the very best sound comes from professional 2" tape machines, but what's the point if the musicianship or mic technique sucks? also for the record, i am not a teenager. but i work for them, and if they think it sounds good, then everyone is happy.

anyway nathan no disrespect to you because you obviously know your shit very well. just trying to put a perspective on why we're all doing this in the first place. and i'd like to see the major labels go bankrupt, their ceo's burn in hell, and pro studio rates drop to reasonable rates. until that happens, people with money, not talent, will rule the industry.

I don't care about the politics of the biz. Of course it doesn't matter if the song or musicianship are bad either. I "work" for teenagers sometimes too, you make it the best you can for them with their budget. When I have the engineer hat on, it's my job to make the sonics as good as I possibly can. If I was recording for an independent jazz label that sells 20,000 CD's a year, my principles of sound would be the same. To make it as sweet and bigger than real, as the gear and skill level of all involved can achieve. Call it elistist or whatever, I started from dirt in the back of another guys garage with HIS gear on a 1/2" eight track and little 12 channel Teac console. My first upgrade was to a 1st revision Mackie 16 channel 1604 on a student loan.

If I recorded a band on that machine in 2004 it would sound a lot better than it did well over a decade ago due to skill level...but there is a point of musicality, fidelity, etc that setup cannot surpass regardless of the skill level of the engineer. Eventually I was adding so many rentals of high end gear (i.e. Neve, Neumann, API, etc) per session (on my dime) that it was costing more to record than I was making at the hourly rate. Hell, on my 23rd birthday I wanted to record a band on Revelation Records (they were called Mourning Again) so bad I put up with doing it for free, all the while I had the flue so bad I had to go and puke my brains out every 20 minutes. Fuckers didn't even use the recording. So I feel I'm entitled to sling a little personal subjectivity around.

My goal since I started is to improve my end results through any means available to me, through honest evaluation and scrutinization of those various pieces of gear and techniques. I don't disagree that it's not necessary to hone your skills on whatever machine you have. Slow growth as an engineer is the only way to get better properly. Throwing a 1st year engineer in a $200,000+ room isn't going to do anything for him. But for anyone to tell me that a small format, probably -10 unbalanced, uncalibrateable, Japanese machine is going to sound as good as a Class A 2" 16 track or the like....I'm sorry if it offends, but I can't believe it from my own first hand experience. It took me 12 years to own a pro analog machine, and it wasn't anything to do with elitism or vanity. It was for the SOUND...that's why I thought we "were all doing this in the first place".

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:38 am

If anyone got the impression that I was implying that smaller formats are technically as good as larger formats, that was not what I was getting at.
The Latin Playboys album, as an example... that is what I was getting at :).

I am getting very very close to having my 1" 8track up and running (yeah!) for the very pupose Nathan is describing. But I'll always be happy to use something 'lesser' if the sound seems appropriate.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:37 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:In other words, recording to tape makes everything "gel" better because every track is an actual physical chunk of the same stuff that everything else is printed to. I realized that is why I love the drums coming off tape. It isnt that it is "phatter[cringe]" or "warmer[double cringe]" but it is the fact that every part of what is really 4 to 10 instruments acting as one element.. it is all being subjected to the frequency response inherent to the medium, and that is dynamically controlled! The harder the drummer hits the cymbals, the darker they get (sort of) but at least it sounds like a drum kit. I dont have to de-ess the room mics when I go to tape first either.
This makes a lot of sense to me....

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:11 pm

I am wrestling with the same thing right now recording my own band. I am so used to editing and mixing on my DAW (like a word processor) vs. mixing from tape (typewriter).

What has us bouncing drums and tracking instruments on the Otari 8 track seems to boil down to this: It is so much quicker. That and we both (wife, bandmate, co-recordist) much prefer rocking the remote for punch-ins and such to mousing around, which is what I do all day here at work.

That said we will dump to DAW and mix there.

So far I have experienced the "gelling" and euphonic dulling effect and like it so far on this project.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:28 pm

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who DeEsses room mics, or hhat in the digi-realm. It feels like such a cop-out, but bright is only good to a degree.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:49 pm

logancircle wrote:So glad to hear I'm not the only one who DeEsses room mics, or hhat in the digi-realm. It feels like such a cop-out, but bright is only good to a degree.
A de-esser set at 5k and up sort of re-creates the high end compression happening on tape for the projects that were tracked straight to digi land. It is certainly not a cop out, it is a way to make things sound good in an unforgiving format!

I use C4 for this as well on the room mics. I just have to compensate for the plug-in delay by a few frames... I dont use the ADC in PT6.4, as it seems to just chow resources, and I dont use many plug -ins anyway.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:58 pm

analog adds hamonics to the signal which usually does make it sounds natural and nice. with the cost of ease of use of course.

digital is easy to use and is more accurate. cheaper.

take your pick
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:09 am

i think everything digital should be mixed down to tape, it just softens the sound.... like fresh homemade icecream , not over frozen store bought... but really its the music n the moment not the media mmmmmmmmm..
is it beer 30 yet?????

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:27 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:
logancircle wrote:So glad to hear I'm not the only one who DeEsses room mics, or hhat in the digi-realm. It feels like such a cop-out, but bright is only good to a degree.
A de-esser set at 5k and up sort of re-creates the high end compression happening on tape for the projects that were tracked straight to digi land. It is certainly not a cop out, it is a way to make things sound good in an unforgiving format!

I use C4 for this as well on the room mics. I just have to compensate for the plug-in delay by a few frames... I dont use the ADC in PT6.4, as it seems to just chow resources, and I dont use many plug -ins anyway.

Joel,

You're doing this during mixdown? That's a really great idea...so simple, I'd have never thought of it!

heylow

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:08 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I wouldnt even dare try to cheerlead a format, but I will say this:

In my experience, subjecting every single sound you capture to a unified and consistent set of dynamics dependent frequency reponse makes a record sound like a record.
Seems to me this logic could be applied to digital as well. Even more so, as a hard drive doesn't lose high end due to wear from repeated playbacks, like tape does. Perhaps the response doesn't change with dynamics, but you're still tracking everything to the same place with the same set of response characteristics. With tape your frequency response can change over time as tape wear occurs, unless you make and work from safeties as soon as something new is tracked.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/