question about Glyn Johns drum micing method

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Re: question about Glyn Johns drum micing method

Post by tubemonkey35 » Sat May 29, 2004 5:30 pm

Sonixx, thanks. Yes those were recorded live here in the studio. I like to have everyone playing at the same time. The only one where I did not play with the group was the 3rd song with the piano; I added the GTR later for that. I like the live feel.

I checked out your clips and we are getting a very similar vibe. I saw your pics too and we are doing it the same for the most part; I'm just anal with the distances, I even use a laser pointer to see that OH one and OH two are aimed at the same spot on the snare (the point at which the player strikes the drum).

Linus, a good drummer in a good room does make things far easier, however one does not alway have that pleasure.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sat May 29, 2004 10:14 pm

I just view this from a different angle. I look at it as a hobby where I record my own stuff and finding or picking a drummer IS the biggest challenge. I'm not viewing it as a buisness where my clients are drummers who want to sound better.

Just a different view of the same situation.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sun May 30, 2004 11:56 am

it's a really obvious point about the great drummer, great room.
But great drummer to some is Ringo and others Neil Peart.

It does take a certain style to make it work right.

This technique does not work with cymbal bashers!!

we all at some point have to work with less then steller musicians and make something out of it.

I think it's obvious that a great drummer will make everything easier,
and the performance is really the important thing.
That doesn't cancel out the technical issues that will arise in any session.

miriamaudio
audio school graduate

Post by miriamaudio » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:35 am

before I was a recording geek, I was a drum geek.
for fun,

the drum technique with the hi-hat and ride both on the left , played by the left hand, is called "open hand" technique. (obvious name, right?) favored by Carter Beauford, the guy from the romantics, Dennis Wilson, and some other notable drummers. it can change the way you play - especially how you fill. for right handed drummers, most fills start with the right hand, because it "leads." when you change the roles of your hands, from hat to snare, but still start fills with your right hand, you'll get different results. this technique is also favored by lefties who sit in on right handed kits. most can handle playing like this. I think Paul plays drums like this, but I can't remember for certain. try it out sometimes - it definitely builds dexterity, and challanges the way you think about playing drums.
ask yourself:
why am I doing this?
rather than:
does this guitar sound good?
-eno

miriamaudio
audio school graduate

Post by miriamaudio » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:38 am

oh, also - the ride cymbal was invented before the hi-hat, that's why we "cross over" in the first place.

- jesse
ask yourself:
why am I doing this?
rather than:
does this guitar sound good?
-eno

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:43 am

sonixx wrote:I view it this way... it's my job to make the client sound better than he really is. My Skill + Tools = Results
I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I believe that this isn't the best technique for a less-than-stellar drummer. It really gives you a fast and accurate picture of what's going on in the room. If the drums sound great and are well-balanced by a good player, this technique can sound great. If not...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC