Yanks on tour in Europe - voltage converter vs. regulator

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
spiral
re-cappin' neve

Yanks on tour in Europe - voltage converter vs. regulator

Post by spiral » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:02 am

http://www.voltageconverters.com

My U.S.A. friends are going on a european tour and asked about voltage conversion. I see the site above has both convertors and regulators. I suggested the regulator as it seemed like a better safeguard against brown-outs etc. Could someone confirm this or have any better suggestions?

Thanks.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Re: Yanks on tour in Europe - voltage converter vs. regulato

Post by spiral » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:56 pm

Has anyone been on tour before? Like ... in another place? with your own gear? I'll keep it a secret. Promise.

hapbeat
audio school graduate

Re: Yanks on tour in Europe - voltage converter vs. regulato

Post by hapbeat » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:16 am

I've been using their converters just fine, though note that the plugs on these are US 3 pin, so you need a UK adaptor (buy this from them too). The only way this works properly is to connect the EU adaptor (which comes with the unit) to the US plug, then the UK adaptor to the EU adaptor. This has been good, no hums or anything, though I haven't tested if the grounding is all it should be (and I'd recommend doing that in any tour situation). Remember to run the converters at no more than 70% of their capacity. The 1kw ones have a built in circuit breaker, which is reassuring.
I've no experience with the regulators.
These guys seem to sell quality stuff, and the price is very good. You can't get converters in the UK over 500w, unless you spend big bucks.