Danelectro Reel Echo

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Danelectro Reel Echo

Post by Kyle Motor » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:57 am

How about it? Anybody try out the Danelectro Reel Echo? I'm a big fan of the Danecho, use it on vocals all the time, as well as playing guitar with it. But after much abuse, my Danecho is on its last legs, and I was thinking of replacing it with the Reel Echo. Comments? Rants? Recipes?

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: Danelectro Reel Echo

Post by eeldip » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:01 am

i have always wanted to hear what people have though of this too....

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Post by sonic documentation » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:19 pm

i third that.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:28 pm

It sucks ass.

My bandmate Michael got one and we were all excited about it, but it is completely digital, so when you play something and then adjust the delay time, it just cuts the same phrase off earlier with a little 'click' instead of speeding up or slowing down the part. This isn't an issue for a lot of people, but for us it was huge. It's got the 'tape' sound effects, but they're essentially just lowpass filters and temelo effects. I was profoundly underwhelmed. Essentially, it's a digital delay with fewer features and a few tacked on effects.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:33 pm

andrew embassy wrote:It sucks ass.

My bandmate Michael got one and we were all excited about it, but it is completely digital, so when you play something and then adjust the delay time, it just cuts the same phrase off earlier with a little 'click' instead of speeding up or slowing down the part. This isn't an issue for a lot of people, but for us it was huge. It's got the 'tape' sound effects, but they're essentially just lowpass filters and temelo effects. I was profoundly underwhelmed. Essentially, it's a digital delay with fewer features and a few tacked on effects.
Wow, that's weird. With the Danecho (also digital) you can do the speed up and slow down stuff by turning the speed knob, and it worked great. That's definitely one pro towards the Danecho then.

damian
audio school graduate

Post by damian » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:54 pm

Kyle,
I use the danecho for recording bass, but have not used it on vocals yet. What are some sample setting you use?

D

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:52 pm

First off, I use two mics, the main one I sing into that's right in front of me, and then another one on the other end of the room facing the other direction. I run the far one through the danecho. It's usally set with the mix up and hi cut maxed, and speed and repeat anywhere between 10 and 2 o'clock (right now they're both at 2 from the last time I used it). It works pretty well when you put the echo on the room mic, but then again I'm using 57's in a basement to 8 tracks of cassette, but it sounds great for that. As another disclaimer, I am addicted to slap echo for vocals.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:58 am

I have heard that the Reel Echo is not as nice sounding as the Dan Echo. I have a Dan Echo and think it's OK. I hardly use it because even when bypassed, it just kills your guitar tone. On it's OK but who wants delay on all the time? There are many reviews that support what I have found about Dan Echo. Just wish I'd read them before I bought mine. :(